Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Long Acting Pain Meds; Lesser of the Evils

I wish I knew the difference in these! Which is the least likely to cause side effects, or knock me off my arse!?!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Why not just a simple morphine pill? Lasts 12 hours. Most docs try something like this, or oxycontin, instead of jumping to methadone.

T8, are you side effect sensitive also? I read a post about a member having morning withdrawal from Methadone. Does that happen? Can you skip a dose if you don't need it?

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I take methadone, I consider it to have fewer negative side effects than morphine or oxycntin.
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Personally, I can't take morphine without my husband telling me wild stories the next morning, plus it makes me think bugs are crawling on me LOL

It sounds like your sensitivity is much worse than some of us due to the dye allergy. Personally, I take Valium to assist with muscles relaxing and Vicodin 7.5.

For me Oxy is more long lasting per your question and I can minimize the stomach effects by using phenergan. I do not like to take this on a regular basis because it does as it is suppose to--helps my stomach and makes me sleepy. So, I have quick dissolve phenergan that I put on my tongue. These are more expensive and most insurance companies will not cover them unless you appeal it. When doing so, just tell them you need it because it must be fast acting and you can't use suppositories independently That is only time I use that reasoning...
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Bingo, Arndog ...he mentioned the cost and insurance, also mentioned that either ins. or DEA, can't remember, may send him a letter forcing him to change me to long acting meds. I'm fortunate to have excellent ins. but I have NO control over the DEA. There's a lot of red tape these days.

Right again, I was sensitive to meds as a child. My parents would bathe me in baking soda to keep me from clawing myself to death!

I swear, I'm breaking out in hives just reading the names, Methadone and Oxycontin!

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    There is also the cost of methadone versus oxycontin. Methadone costs 10 cents a pill where as the same amount of Oxycontin would be about 30 times more expensive at 3 dollars a pill. The difference in cost is staggering.
    Charlotte - you are one sensitive girl. Who knows how you would react to Methadone or Oxycontin, I guess there is only one way to find out ! Try 'em.
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

I haven't heard of Dilaudid since the 70's! They gave it to me when I had my tonsils taken out ...I was high as a kite... LOL!

OK, adding that one to the list for discussion! Thank you, Lin!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    depends on the individual so much. I can't take hydrocodone, and percocet makes me itch like crazy. I had bizarre severe side effects while titrating up on methadone and had to stop. I currently take extended release morphine, and fast acting dilaudid. No side effects to either, but I do have a standing script for phenergan and get nausea from other things. So I wouldn't know if they caused nausea as well.

— Marianne Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    T8, are you side effect sensitive also? I read a post about a member having morning withdrawal from Methadone. Does that happen? Can you skip a dose if you don't need it?

Thanks for your input!
    I have had adverse reactions to Fetnayl (zombie) and Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) (itching, rash). I can take less of a dose, but if I skip it all together it takes at least a day for my pain to get back under control. It is not a withdrawal thing however.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    I haven't heard of Dilaudid since the 70's! They gave it to me when I had my tonsils taken out ...I was high as a kite... LOL!

OK, adding that one to the list for discussion! Thank you, Lin!
    My husband was on Dilaudid his during his entire 7 week ICU stay after his SCI in 2008 and a couple weeks after transferring to one of the few rehabs that would take someone on a vent.

What helps us hurts us, crazy isn't it...

Thanks, Faceplant!

Quote Originally Posted by faceplant View Post
    I use the oxycontin but do also get the nausea but I don't have to take anything for it

Rob, bugs crawling on you?!?... no thanks! I can't stand a tins unit! LOL

Valium works well for me but I never take it because it makes me a zombie and after a few days, I'm in tears for no reason. That's was taking 2.5mg a day, haha! I also have breathing problems with Valium.

The yellow dye allergy is a PITA!

I'm hoping I can get my Dr. to increase my dose by one pill a day, and postpone this change until the kids are back in school. I don't have time for side effects right now!

Thanks for your suggestions. It's all been very helpful. I'll update after I've spoken with the Pharmacist and the Doc.

Tina

Quote Originally Posted by russianrob View Post
    Personally, I can't take morphine without my husband telling me wild stories the next morning, plus it makes me think bugs are crawling on me LOL

It sounds like your sensitivity is much worse than some of us due to the dye allergy. Personally, I take Valium to assist with muscles relaxing and Vicodin 7.5.

For me Oxy is more long lasting per your question and I can minimize the stomach effects by using phenergan. I do not like to take this on a regular basis because it does as it is suppose to--helps my stomach and makes me sleepy. So, I have quick dissolve phenergan that I put on my tongue. These are more expensive and most insurance companies will not cover them unless you appeal it. When doing so, just tell them you need it because it must be fast acting and you can't use suppositories independently That is only time I use that reasoning...

— Marianne Williamson

T8, I have days with more intense pain and I'm careful about letting my pain meds wear off too. Sometimes I can simply sit still for 10 minutes and wait for the pain to decrease. Part of my problem is, I can't sit still, I've always been slightly high strung, don't watch TV or take naps, and want to be busy. Luckily, I have a fairly high tolerance for pain. I don't believe anything helps the spasticity!

BTW, I'm also scared of losing weight with these meds - I'm so thin now, I can't even make the outdoor sensor lights come on.... seriously!

Noted, T8, no withdrawals. Thank you.

Linda, I've noted your husbands success w/ Dilaudid also. Thank you!

— Marianne Williamson

Amitrioptyline it is... 10mg once per day, for a week, if I tolerate it, double the dose.

Crossing my fingers, but keeping the notes from you guys in the event this doesn't work out.

Thanks again!
    Tina

— Marianne Williamson

I tried up to 10 mg. Dilaudid plus 2 mg. ativan IV. Did nothing to my pain or to make me high. Nor did 40 mg. OxyContin, 60 mg. MSContin, or 30 mg. Methadone 3x a day (need lots of laxatives with opiates.)

Others may have better luck.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.