Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Long Acting Pain Meds; Lesser of the Evils

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Long Acting Pain Meds; Lesser of the Evils

Over the last several months, my Neurologist has been trying to decrease the Acetaminophen in my Hydrocodone to 325, however I have a yellow dye allergy and 325 is yellow. At one point, my Pharmacy did a special order for 7.5/325 in white but it was soon back ordered from the manufacturer. Last week, my Dr. decided to change me to 10/325. It was yellow too, so he settled with 10/500 and decrease me to 3 a day. He also wants to put me on a long acting pain medication, Methadone.

It has taken years for me to build up a tolerance to the side effects of Hydrocodone, taking no more than 5mg, one half twice a day in the beginning. The stronger medications I was given post-op shoulder/arm surgery, (Tylox, Percoset) caused serious side effects. I swelled like a blimp on Tylox and saw things moving with Percocet, not to mention itching like crazy and nausea! I have a history of med allergies and being side effect sensitive, so needless to say, I'm a nervous wreck about this change, but want to do what's best, long term, for my liver, AND better pain relief would be nice.

I spoke with my Neurologist yesterday, and he wanted to think about it. He's also trying to stay "under the gov radar", (his words), because of a new State law requiring more doctors to register as a "Pain Clinic". He hasn't called me back yet. Maybe he's consulting the DEA!

I've been searching the forums for info on Methadone and I do NOT like what I've read! Please, can anyone tell me if any of the long acting pain medications are milder than the others or less likely to cause side effects? Perhaps there's another member that's sensitive to these God awful medications with some advise? The 2.5 mg of added Hydrocodone has had me in a cosmic cowgirl fog for days but not touching the pain ...uggg!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

I'm curious why if your doctor was concerned about acetaminophen he didn't try Vicoprofen ( made with ibuprofen instead of acetaminophen).

I swell on NSAID's, top to bottom; risk of kidney failure.

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg View Post
    I'm curious why if your doctor was concerned about acetaminophen he didn't try Vicoprofen ( made with ibuprofen instead of acetaminophen).
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

You'd be better off trying oxycodone (no NSAID) or oxycontin and your neurologist either 1)referring you to an MD that is 'on the government radar' and can prescribe medication that works and is safe or 2) neurologist getting his paperwork together. Hydrocodone isn't available in the USA unless it's formulated with acetominophen or ibuprofen.

Why not just a simple morphine pill? Lasts 12 hours. Most docs try something like this, or oxycontin, instead of jumping to methadone.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Why not just a simple morphine pill? Lasts 12 hours. Most docs try something like this, or oxycontin, instead of jumping to methadone.
    I take methadone, I consider it to have fewer negative side effects than morphine or oxycntin.

I wish I knew the difference in these! Which is the least likely to cause side effects, or knock me off my arse!?!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post

T8, are you side effect sensitive also? I read a post about a member having morning withdrawal from Methadone. Does that happen? Can you skip a dose if you don't need it?

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I take methadone, I consider it to have fewer negative side effects than morphine or oxycntin.

— Marianne Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    T8, are you side effect sensitive also? I read a post about a member having morning withdrawal from Methadone. Does that happen? Can you skip a dose if you don't need it?

Thanks for your input!
    I have had adverse reactions to Fetnayl (zombie) and Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) (itching, rash). I can take less of a dose, but if I skip it all together it takes at least a day for my pain to get back under control. It is not a withdrawal thing however.

Why can't it be easy?!?

Alan - the medications and related issues have been harder for me to deal with than the injury. Did you ever find some relief?

I'm back to square one. After looking up Amitrioptyline, I saw that it's an anti-depressant. I went through the gambit of these with my PCP at the time of the accident and could not tolerate any of them. I also noticed it has a brand name of, Alavil which I took in the late 70's. I have no idea why I would have been put on a, "nerve pill", (as it would have been called back then), but I clearly remember my blood pressure bottomed out, and there was an issue with my heart condition, Mitral Valve Prolapse. It was given to me at the same time I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse so I want to think it was for that condition but the Pharmacist said, (in an nasty tone), it is NOT and never was used as a heart medication. I'm so confused!!!!

In the meantime, I'm still short per day on PMs, and no return call from the Dr., regardless of explaining the situation, misery, and breathing trouble. The increased pain I understand but not the increased spasms and breathing trouble.

Trying hard not to rant....

— Marianne Williamson

Avictoria, thanks! I'll add these to my list to discuss with him and the Pharmacist. I'm going to try and get as much information as possible before I let my Dr. change anything.

Our State has become the new FL with respect to Pain Clinics. I was referred to one of the better pain clinics when my Physiatrist moved away. It was bad, and the drug screens were expensive, even after insurance paid. I had a new career of keeping their billing straight- I was charged twice for urine samples I didn't give and charged for 2 urine samples in one visit. On more than one visit, my unlabeled, $500.00 cup of pee, was placed on a counter with several other unlabeled urine samples! Insane!

My Neuro was one of the first groups of Doc's in the State to train in PM, long before the DEA entered the medical field. He's well versed and I trust him totally. It's my bodies disliking of medications that scares me.

Thanks again,
    Tina

Quote Originally Posted by avictoria View Post
    You'd be better off trying oxycodone (no NSAID) or oxycontin and your neurologist either 1)referring you to an MD that is 'on the government radar' and can prescribe medication that works and is safe or 2) neurologist getting his paperwork together. Hydrocodone isn't available in the USA unless it's formulated with acetominophen or ibuprofen.

— Marianne Williamson