Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burned another of my nine lives this weekend

Burned another of my nine lives this weekend

The short version is my aide forgot to put the cover/plate over the gas pedal of my convertible and I blew it off thinking no problem. I'm ok, the car's transmission hates me.

I started accelerating past 75 mph on the freeway and shit got heavy as I started blowing by people on the shoulder of the road. I never thought about my checking my foot. I just didn't want to hurt anyone or myself. Riding the brakes down wasn't working. If I were just a wee bit faster thinker, I would have simply put the car in neutral and rode it out, but no. A defensive driving course for if/when your hand controls break probably wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone.

Anyway, I discovered I'm only "good," not "great" in a crisis, while shitty in my average day-to-day.

Cheers.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Was your aide riding with you? I bet they won't forget again! I tried to cover that scenario in what I would do "if!" I have come to the conclusion I would kill the engine and keep the key in ACC position to keep from locking the steering wheel. I hope to coast down to a stop. My van is equipped with an auxiliary power steering so I can hit a button on the dash and get power steering back.

Glad to see you're still with us man.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Thanks. No, I was alone. In a way, I'm glad this test happened to me and not someone I care about.
    And the truth shall set you free.

My portable hand control thing I rigged up on my lawn mower brake fell off one time. That was scary enough, I can't imagine having trouble in a car going that fast. Glad you are ok.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Could you install a kill switch on the steering column?

So glad you're ok.

so what happened exactly?

did your spasms hit the pedals since they weren't being covered?

Glad you're okay, though, how'd you get the car to stop?

I'm really glad you're OK. Must have been ... intense (that's the world you Anglophones use as a placeholder for anything so big or emotional that you can't find the words to describe it, right? ).

But like the others, now I'm curious as to the rest of the story . So spill!

Please?

Your heart must have been PUMPING!

Glad you are OK. You must be good in 'intense' situations...you lived to post again!

Glad you're okay!