Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New SCI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New SCI

My brother recently suffered a SCI. He ruptured his discs from C4 to C6 and had cartilage damage at C1 which was blocking his spinal fluid. No movement from any of his extremities when he was admitted to the hospital. Today is 24 days post surgery and he is getting stronger every day. He is able to walk with some assistance for short periods though a bit unsteady. He can life is left arm and move all 5 fingers--though can't grip anything. No response from his right arm or hands. He can kind of wiggle some fingers if he concentrates really hard. Some PTs are saying he might have central cord syndrome? What are the possibilities that he will regain strength, movement and function in his arms and legs with central cord syndrome? We are encouraged by his progress, but all need more hope to refuel our optimism that this isn't the end of his recovery. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

No one can predict how much he will recover, but the fact that he has already recovered as much as he has is very very encouraging. A central cord injury usually means that the arms and hands are affected much more than the legs.

I have a central cord injury. Most of my recovery took place within the first year after my injury, but I am now almost four years post injury and I am still improving in little ways.

Thanks for replying Kari! Would you mind if I asked you how your upper body strength and movement are today? he has not seen improvement in his right arm and said he was concerned he was "losing his right arm". With your experience, would you say that there is a chance, even if he hasn't been able to move his right arm that he might be able to at some point...even if it is months or years from now?

I am a lower SCI but just wanted to say Welcome to Carecure.

Good luck in his recovery.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ccsmith409 View Post
    Thanks for replying Kari! Would you mind if I asked you how your upper body strength and movement are today? he has not seen improvement in his right arm and said he was concerned he was "losing his right arm". With your experience, would you say that there is a chance, even if he hasn't been able to move his right arm that he might be able to at some point...even if it is months or years from now?
    His experience is similar to mine. I thought I was going to lose my left arm, and they diagnosed me with central cord syndrome. Eventually I was able to regain a lot of function in my left arm, but it was a lengthy process.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

My insurance paid for a limited number of home visits by both a physical therapist and occupational therapist. On one of their last visits, they both accompanied me to a local gym where we evaluated which machines I could use, what settings for things like seats, what weight, how many repetitions, etc. I now go to the gym with a caregiver or family member who assists me in setting positions, placing my arms where they need to be on some of the machines, getting on an off a few machines (I have balance issues), etc.

I have central cord syndrome. After my injury, my left arm was not able to move for a month. Now, with great effort, I can do fifteen pushups. I have considerable strength, >50%, in all of the muscles in that arm now. It is very early still. The most return in my left arm was between 8 and 12 months. Good luck.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Welcome CC. Every person varies with their recovery, but it sounds very promising. With central cord, the hands are weaker than the legs- you sometimes hear the term "walking quad" used.
    CWO

Thanks for the feedback Darkeyed Daisy, Cajun and SCI Nurse! Quick question, he is getting discharged soon, and is researching outpatient therapy. Though outpatient, he gets less time in therapy. Any recommendations for SCI therapist that might offer in-home sessions to supplement?

Hard to make any recommendations since we don't know what country/state/city he is located in, and nothing in your profile either.

He should be going home with a home exercise program. I assume he is in an acute comprehensive SCI rehab inpatient program right now? Which one? Have them made arrangements for outpatient therapy? Set him up with a home program? Recommended equipment to get? Does he have access to a pool (excellent for working on walking)?

(KLD)