Thread: Wheel/Axle Position

Wheel/Axle Position

Good morning everyone. I have been a several seating clinics and am happy with everything on this chair except the wheel/axle position. I have good balance and trunk strength and feel that they should be moved forward some to ease the strain and stress on my shoulders. My Quickie did not have them as far back as they would go, but this one does. I thought perhaps they did this at first so I could get used to the new chair--they never adjust them, even when I mention it. Obviously since I have now had my chair several months the seating clinics are over with the vendor. What does everyone thing based on these pictures please?
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Yeah, they should go forward. I like my chair where all I have to do is lean back a bit while going and the front wheels will lift a little. Great for going over rocky surfaces or a threshold. Your height looks good.

It takes a while to dial in a chair but once it is ....

Thanks Patrick, I was thinking moving them forward about 1.5 to 2 inches.....
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Rob, they look ultra stable (way far back) to me, too.

Be careful when moving them forward, though. Unless you put on antitippers, you should move them just a bit at a time (e.g., 1/2") to make sure you don't flip over backwards. The absence of antitippers maybe why the clinic didn't move them forward for you - it would be a huge liability exposure for them.

I like mine so I can easily pop the casters up and over obstacles, but so I can keep them solidly on the ground when going up inclines. Like Patrick said, it takes time to dial it in right. (BTW, I use antitippers because my dysmetria makes holding a moving wheelie nearly impossible.)
    Last edited by chasmengr; 05-29-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks for the advice Chas, I have antitip bars I just leave them off most of the time. Trust me know about flipping backwards. When I had my Quicke adjusted a few years ago they moved my wheels all the way forward and I set out like normal and ended up backwards on the floor.... Very embarrassing moment in front of my staff

My first reaction was, "That's nuts." The chair must be very stable but also hard to push and maneuver. I wold recommend moving the axle forward but be careful and do it in small increments. I might even suggest doing it in less than 1/2" increments. Just little can make a big difference when you get to that neutral/tipping point. I think you've got a long way before you're there but when you get close, do be careful.

I used to keep my COG a little hairy so that the slightest push would let me lift the front and it was great for obstacles but carrying some groceries in my bag behind me I gave a mighty push on an decline going home and I almost fell backwards at speed. Since then I've tamed my COG because so often I do carry a lot of weight behind me. It's personal, you have to find what works for you but be wary of the tip over. Ouch I got hurt pretty good once. Good luck :-)