Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recent Spinal Cord injury from intoxication

Thanks GL!!

Thanks SuprSi! I am glad everything worked out well and you have recovered

Thanks russianrob! I am trying to stay optimistic but I do realize he has a very long road ahead of him, and so do I. I am trying to learn as much as I can so I may be his rock and voice of encouragement and praise

No matter what, do NOT allow them to send him to a SNF for "rehab". A SNF is not equipped to provide quality intensive comprehensive interdisciplinary rehabilitation. He needs to go to a specialty SCI rehabilitation program, ideally one that is accredited as a SCSC (Spinal Cord System of Care) through CARF (the Commission for Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities). I happen to know that there is one associated with Wake Medical Center. http://www.wakemed.org/body.cfm?id=678 This is where he should go. You may have a fight on your hands to get him there with no insurance though.

Depending on your state, he may be eligible for expedited approval of Medicaid due to his SCI. Unfortunately he is not eligible yet for Medicare unless he was previously designated as disabled and on SSDI for another disability. You must be on SSDI for 24 months to be eligible for Medicare, so that will only be an option for him down the road. I assume he was not working at all, so not eligible for state disability? Does he have 40 quarters of Social Security employment history? The social worker at the hospital should be helping you with these issues.

(KLD)

Jennifer,

You must carefully read the words posted by KLD above. They are critically important for your father.

Speak with the social worker immediately to find out the process of applying for Medicaid, and what other options your father has at this point and start applying. Ask every day how this is going, and what other state/disability funds might be available for your father. He must have this in place as soon as possible, or there will be difficulty getting to a rehab hospital.

He MUST NOT go to a subacute nursing facility (SNF). These are useless, and are not rehabilitation hospitals, and they will not have any expertise in spinal cord injury and the care is often poor. He MUST go to an acute rehabilitation facility, and the one KLD found appears to be associated with the hospital he is at (!) so INSIST that they send him there. We cannot emphasize enough how critical this is. Often the Case Manager is the person who arranges the rehab transfer, although sometimes the social worker helps.

Refuse to let them send him to a SNF. Just refuse. They can't force you to send him unless you let them. They may push you, threaten you but do not budge. Tell them you know that it is critical for his recovery that he go to acute rehab and try to get any ally you can on your side (eg. doctor, primary care doctor, physical therapist at the hospital etc...). The one limitation is that he must be awake enough to participate in at least 3 hours of therapy a day. He should be able to do this.

Good luck.
    Last edited by hlh; 05-29-2012 at 10:36 PM.

jennifer, hang in there , i know this is very hard on you, do as the others have said and eat well and get enough sleep. You cant help your dad if your not in top shape, good sleep and food = good mental state.
    Considering the battle you have , KLD just gave you great info, so your one step with good information, to try and find a way for him not to go into a nursing home.
    I agree , nursing homes are just a road down hill for sci especially new sci . Get with the hospital social worker and try and work with her to get your dad into the accredited SCSC that KLD gave you the link to.
    Besides that remember he has to always look forward, never look back at mistakes that got him there. Dont let him get into the should haves, shouldn't haves, If i had , all the stuff that will go through his head once it is cleared up and he realizes what has happened.
    just got to get him to look forward, plenty here know that routine. The negative stuff will eat you up and stop recovery.
    you found a good place for info and support.
    cauda equina

Jennifer, i wanted to add something to the great advice you have been given. Is he being turned regularly to prevent skin breakdown? It is VERY important that this is done so he doesn't develop a pressure sore. His skin should be examined several times a day. Please look in to this.

Jennifer's Dad

Jennifer, Please don't let them bully you and your dad into a SNF or sub par rehab. KLD knows her stuff. You are in my prayers

Thanks so much for all of the tips and advice. Sorry I haven't been on here for a little while, dad went into Septic Shock. He was wearing himself trying to breathe so he was rushed to ICU and put on a ventilator. His fever spiked to 103.7 and his blood pressure was so low, he was given medication to help him maintain one. The doctors believe all the delirium that dad was experiencing was Sepsis but for some reason his body didn't develop a fever until much later. We are on our way over this big speed bump and I am hoping after the infection is gone and they can wean him off of the ventilator, he can have the surgery on his neck. This has been so hard and I can't express enough how much I appreciate everyone's advice and kind words

It's called ICU psychosis and I had it BAD.
    I was on a trian ride through Utah, there were evil hippies, chinese people, it was 1894 and everyone was after me and I was convinced I could walk, if someone would just give me my shoes.
    It started when they were titrading me down off the major drugs.
    Hope he pulls out but sounds like he was in a tailspin to start with - Best to you both & good luck - time will tell.