Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FLACCID ??

FLACCID ??

I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY SPASAMS SINCE BEING INJURED, DOES THAT MEAN I AM FLACCID?? IF SO, DOES THIS MEAN MY INJURY WILL BE HARDER TO CURE??

it means that this injury is most likely never to be cured. Lifeless limbs are cutoff from the brain, and dead nerves cannot be revived.

sherman brayton

No, actually, Brayton is the boards "feel sorry for yourself and cry like a bit$# constantly" member. In reality...you should really try e-stim to see if they will allow your muscle fibers to contract. Off topic, i would love to be t-12, it is so annoying to hear a fool spout off how horrible everything is. I think he should be banned personally from use of the board as he is not helping anyone and could quite possibly cause harm to members who may be already depressed. Personally, i like to follow in footsteps of people like Mark Wellman, Jeff Pagle, Chris Reeves, Victor Konovalov and many more. People who realize that life is a gift no matter how we live it.

Brayton,
    You are no help whatsoever.
    That's all I'm gonna say.
    C

What is the defenition of flaccid?

chaste, flaccid means "Lacking firmness, resilience, or muscle tone."

brayton, flaccidity does not necessarily mean that the limbs are "lifeless" and "cutoff from the brain", or "dead nerves cannot be revived". It simply means that your spinal cord is not generating activity to activate the limbs. I asked you in another post earlier, have you tried functional electrical stimulation on the muscles of your legs?

Wise.

davidh--I am T11 and T12. In the beginning after my injury I had no spasms. Then I started electrical stimulation about a year after my injury and now I have spasms. It was amazing as before FES I would say that I was flaccid. You wouldn't know it now though. When I first started using FES my muscles just barely contracted. I was persisent though and now I get a full contraction not even at 100% stim. My advise is look into FES and be patient as it took me some time to build up.

Originally posted by brayton:

it means that this injury is most likely never to be cured. Lifeless limbs are cutoff from the brain, and dead nerves cannot be revived.

sherman brayton
    damn, ppl like u w/ such negative attitudes shouldnt be able to breath my air

David,
    I agree with JV. At C6-7, there was no movement for probably six months, but when checked with e-stim the current/connection was there. Now he has spontaneous spasms with movement and uses estim to acheive big steps with the Parastep.
    This is a complete injury C6-7

fuente-
    what,,,negative?! let's look at this-
    right now, neves cannot be regenerated. This si a fact. So when someone posts, "will it be harder to cure with flaccid muscles", one can only honestly reply...look...there is no cure.
    expecting a cure is delusional. A cure in the sense of full-blown cure will never happen for the rest of our lives. We are damaged goods baby...until our dyin' day! Yeah..maybe a therapy SOME DAY will restore some muscles and/or senstion, but this will only lower our injury level a notch or two at the best! Realistically...doubtful is the better term than hopeless...in which I believe it really is.

sherman brayton