Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: how long before the cure is found??

how long before the cure is found??

5 - 10 years

1 - 2 years

it is in the making

Kris t4, My doctor at Northwestern told me six months after my surgery that he to would like to see new treatments offered however goverment, the FDA and the legal liability has his hands tied! Today American's require escape from responsibility of judgement while demanding that progress be risk free. New cures are expected to be instantly perfect, or else we sue!! Do you know that even if I had signed permission for Northwestern to use a non-FDA approved treatment on my injury, that I still would have been able to go back and sue the hospital and doctors, this is a no win for the hospitals. This is why all the hospitals will not permit thier staff to think or act with new innovative treatments. The cure will only come to America when it is 100% safe. America has grounded the cure for safty reasons and overprotective state laws. A century ago American's understood that progress comes at a price and were willing to pay it. There should be a way to permit doctors to avoid this legal risk of offering new treatments and still protect the general public. If these "nanny overprotective laws" can be changed, I am sure the new treatments would start to flow.

if ever, 30-40 years until cure of paraplegia and tertrapleia. anyone chronically paralyzed now with a complete SCI will remain so with no VALID hope of recovery on the horizon. If your paralysis is especially flaccid in the lower legs and feet, it is unfixable and nothing is coming down the pipeline to fix this in the next several decades.

sherman brayton

They told me about ten years ,,, 22 years ago

the same question again, well,........ if you think about standard procedure that you can do in any hospital and clincs,...... ufffff i can´t reply, but if you think in a procedure in one place where the laws don´t restrict research, the cure will come in the next 5 or 6 years.
    excuse my english

Ok, how about this question. How long until there is a therapy that will provide return of bowel, bladder and sex function; as well as SOME sensation and function for any degree of injury?

in 2 or 3 years. see this post,

Top Twelve Potential/Realistic/Nearest Therapies

This year I start my 24th year of living with SCI. I read all kinds of stuff here about people with relatively new injuries(one or two years old) and I can remember thinking like they think now, how close a cure is.
    Sure, there seems to be progress but after awhile it's the same o'l same o'l. I just figured it was best to get on with life, live with what I've got left. I know one thing, I'll save my money instead of going over to China, Russia or wherever the new thing is coming from today, guess I'm just skeptical. This site is great for news, but for the 4 years I've been here, I haven't heard of anyone being "cured " yet. "They told me about 10 years that was 22 years ago" that's a good line. Maybe tomorrow, it's like they say ,tomorrow's another day.

"I QUESS THEY'LL HAVE TO RUN OUT OF RATS, BEFORE THEY TRY IT OUT IN HUMANS. WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OVER !!!"

Let's be positive guys, there was little if any substantive research into SCI 22 years ago, now a cursory search through medline will produce thousands of studies. As has been noted, partial cures are available now, a full cure is on the horizon. Funding and a lack of urgency is what is delaying progress.

Brayton, it is not true that it will take decades to cure low thoracic or sacral injuries.

[This message was edited by seneca on 02-28-04 at 02:22 AM.]

Thank you, Seneca. This thread was getting depressing. Everything I've read over the past year (here on CC or elsewhere) points to clinical trials around the world being conducted right now (China, Portugal, Australia, etc.) and many trials ready to go. This was not case when I was injured 3.5 years ago. The only buzz then was Sygen and 4AP trials.

Regards,
    Sue