Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing next to Robbie

Standing next to Robbie

Last week at the gym I had the opportunity to stand next to Robbie. I've done this before with him in the stander but this time we were both on the same flat surface.

For me it was an emotional and beautiful moment, something I've been wondering about for the past 2 years. He was injured at 14 so we missed those moments of him passing me by in height. You know, the fun times when a boy realizes they are taller than their parent. Well we got that moment and I loved it! He has about 4-5 inches on me.

For Robbie I think it enjoyed it for a second then said "mom, you are in my bubble". Always a wise guy!

Here is the pic....

Nice, the boys enjoy being taller than their mother. Tomas, who is 16 in July loved it when he knew he was taller than me and now he is even taller than his big brother who is 30.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Great picture, Sharon. Such a handsome young man - and what an important moment.

Glad you got to have that moment Sharon. Great Picture!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Sharon, that's a beautiful sight! Please give Robbie my congratulations .

I love your new profile picture too.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Thanks friends, I know you understand how I felt that day at the gym, so special!

So many things I thought were taken away from us, little by little we are taking them back...in our own way.

Today he asked me if he could camp out with friends, this will be another first and he will figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    I love your new profile picture too.

Isnt that pic great, I love it too. Our local adaptive sports organization printed and mailed those postcards as a fundraiser. Robbies trainer asked if he could blow it up, its framed and hanging in the gym. Apparently it is very inspiring to others. Pretty cool!

Isn't that wonderful! I'd love to stand by my kids, grandkids. Awesome he can stand! I know it feels great! So, so happy for ya'll!

I did that too last fall and was surprised at how tall she got! Bittersweet.
    She was grinning at how she had surpassed me...doesn't take much though, I'm 5'3" and dad is 6'4" so everyone is taller than I am in our house.