Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alber e motion wheels

Alber e motion wheels

Hi all,
    My hands and neck are causing me problems so I need power assist wheels for my Kuschall chair, they are very expensive. Anyone any experiences of these they can share about how useful they are and what battery life is like. I have a power chair but prefer my manual lightweight for most things.
    Thanks

I did an advanced search for "e-motions" on the Equipment thread; here is the result. Lots of feedback . . .

PS - the link doesn't want to stay valid for some reason. Here's a screen shot:
    Attachment 45032
    Last edited by chasmengr; 05-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks Chas, very kind of you to help me out.
    Cheers!

Blog Entries
    I have the eMotion M-15s, and my batteries go for 2 or 3 days of 13 hours a day in the chair. It will take some tweaking of the settings, and it took me about 2 months before I was "one with the machine", but in about a week I was comfortable enough with them that it made getting around a hilly neighborhood and campus a *lot* easier and I started going out much more often. They take the effort out of wheeling on the grass or on carpet.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Thanks Don, I was interested that you mention they helped with hills as my house is surrounded by hills to negotiate to get anywhere. I would be interested to know what "tweaks" you made, do the instructions that come with then help with this?

I have a electric chair and the place I got it from made the "tork" on the battery/engine so that it coped with hills but, I lost a bit on battery life. !3 hours is a good battery life. I reaaky need to get some help with using my chair, my electric one is too heavy for me to take out in my car and use without help but I could manage the e motion wheels on my lightweight manual. If only they weren't so pricey!
    Thanks for your insight and info. Very helpful.
    Lu

Blog Entries
    There are two modes for the wheels, and I call them indoor and outdoor. You can control the amount of power that the push on the pushrim sends to the motors, you can also control how long the power goes to the motors, and how sensitive the pushrims are to your push. I have mine set so that I push fairly hard inside, and that the power sent to the wheels is relatively low ans it only sends the power for a second for each push. While wheeling inside, it feels much like pushing a manual, so that I get plenty of exercise. The only time I notice much of a difference is when on carpet, which feels like pushing on a hardwood floor.

For outdoors, I set the amount of power going to the wheels at 90%, and the length of the power push to be 3 seconds, and the sensitivity low. This allows me to go up hills easily, and I don't have to push quite as often or as hard.

I think that you may have to insist that your provider give you the Therapist/DME manual and the magnetic key that allows you to program the remote. This information is *NOT* in the user manual.

Hope this helps.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

As of this fall, I will have been using emotion wheels (from the United States distributor Frank mobility) for 10 years. I first had the M12s (purchased in 2002) and then got the M15s (in 2010).

The improvements have been excellent. Where I used to use 2-3 sets of batteries/day in the old system, the M15s battery life for me is 2 to 3 days. I try to plug them in every night, but often forget and have still never exceeded the battery life. One set of batteries is all I need.

I have and recommend the ECS (Ergonomic Control System). I found a copy of the programming manual online and can send you a PDF if you need it. They are moderately easy to program. I have done it several times over the last two years and have really fine-tuned my settings.

My level is C4/5 and I'm not super strong. I have a difficult time pushing regular wheels on much more than flat surfaces and smooth payment. However, with the emotion power assist I have not needed to get a power chair.

I have pushed more than 8 miles before. I go through the grass and up-and-down hills quite a bit, and often with my labrador retriever service dog attached.

I will tell you that I have had emotion wheels on three different chairs since '02, and the chair geometry makes a big difference. On the first chair (a very compact colours eclipse, which I already had), although I was able to add the emotion wheels easily to the chair, they were totally inappropriate for it. Because they create so much torque, the chair tended to tip back too much. Two chairs later, I finally have it figured out. I have very little center of gravity and a longer wheelbase on my new chair (2 weeks old), which is a very custom tilite ZR.

Okay, I could go on and on. Let me know if you have specific questions. Also, feel free to shoot me a message if you wanted to Skype about it.

p.s. they are not light--add 60 pounds to a chair
    wheels: 25 lbs. each; batteries: 5 lbs. each

You would not want to be lifting them in/out of a car alone

Hi Don and wrongdog,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great tips and advice, this is what makes CC such an amazing source of help and comfort. I would never had got such helpful tips and info anywhere else. I now feel confident enough to go ahead and contact a dealer to see about purchasing the M15s which were the ones I had been looking at online, I will certainly look into the tweeks that can be made to the battery power system.

thanks again.

I have a question or two.. I have my emotion M-15's for one week now and I am still trying to customize the settings.

Donno what settings do you use inside? I keep crashing into my cabinets, doorways, sink etc. ? I think I mgiht want to try you "indoor manual wheelchair settings".

Wrongdog I am a C5-6 inomplete SCI, what settings do you use inside? The kitchen and doorways are hazardous for me. I have dented/gouged some walls and doors.

What settings do any of you use for going up and down you vehicle ramps/lifts?

Has anyone ever gotten stuck in grass, unven terrain?