Thread: First Chair

First Chair

I am new to this. I'm currently vertical using cuff crutches but will be in a chair within two years due to MS. I'm researching ultra light weight folding chairs. Without breaking the bank, what chairs are recommended? I'm tall with athletic build but am fighting age if that makes a difference with chairs. Also are there expos anywhere in the world where I can see, touch, try and ask questions about chairs? Thank you.
    Last edited by douglasdharvey; 05-26-2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: make more concise

You might want to select a chair compatible w the ZX-1 add on so that you will have a lightweight, maneuverable chair that fits you well but w an option to quickly convert to power for long pushes, hot days, etc. I am not sure if a folder would be compatible. I believe the ZX-1 should be on the market from Spinergy within 6 months. You should be able to view the ZX-1 prototype on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasdharvey View Post
    I am new to this. I'm currently vertical using cuff crutches but will be in a chair within two years due to MS. I'm researching ultra light weight folding chairs. Without breaking the bank, what chairs are recommended? I'm tall with athletic build but am fighting age if that makes a difference with chairs. Also are there expos anywhere in the world where I can see, touch, try and ask questions about chairs? Thank you.
    First, I am sorry to hear about your prognosis-- but live certainly does go on and well regardless if your are vertical or positioned in a chair. It is what you make of it.

As for the chair, it is a very personal and crucial decision. I would suggest that as the time nears you contact your physical or occupational therapist and request a seating clinic to obtain your measurements, etc. This way you can start to demo chairs. Many rehab centers, PT offices, and DME vendors do have demo chairs you can try out. And to answer your question-- yes many Expos do have vendor booths set up and many have demo chairs to try while you are there. I have never had a folding chair, but I know several people who have had a Quickie that folded. Personally, I have always had a rigid frame chair. My preference of brand has shifted to TiLite now. There are a lot of threads on this site about different chairs and individual experiences. Plus the more senior members are always willing to lend advice. Good luck!
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

TiLite makes good ultralight folding chairs in both titanium (2GX & TX) and aluminum (AeroX). (I'm a TiLite fan.)

Ki Mobility also makes ultralight folding chairs, as does Invacare and Sunrise (not very many CCC members like Sunrise (aka Quickie).

How do you know you'll be in a chair in two years? Are you PP or SP?
    Why do you think you'll want a folder? I like my rigid. (And a wider choice is available among rigids.)

Choosing a good, well fitted ultralight can be a long process. Proper fit is paramount, and many measurements exist.

I skipped the crutches stage - went from a rollator to an ultralight. I can still walk some (Kurtze EDSS 5.5), but it's so fatiguing; I use my chair to conserve energy. Using a chair is so much better than hobbling , and you always have a place to sit down (even in the check out line.)

Abilities Expo.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 05-26-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    ... I skipped the crutches stage - went from a rollator to an ultralight. I can still walk some (Kurtze EDSS 5.5), but it's so fatiguing; I use my chair to conserve energy. Using a chair is so much better than hobbling , and you always have a place to sit down (even in the check out line.) ...
    Amen chasm. "Hobbling" isn't fun, for the body OR the head. The more my walk went to hell, the more tense I became as those around me either ran for the nearest exit or rushed to my side to save me from crashing and burning. After two bad knee incidents hobbling around the house with my guard down, in March, IT WAS TIME.

douglas, long story short, I studied chairs a month and a half, and a week ago, settled into a REAL chair – not my dead mother's Medline Narrow that I never took out of the house.

Well ... 'stepping out' (pun intended) changed from War to Peace, and everybody is now at ease – strangers, family, and most of all, me.

Protect the lousy 'vertical' you've got left. Go for a good chair soon as you can if you can.