Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Connected Flatscreen TV

Internet Connected Flatscreen TV

What do I need to look out for?

I was looking at a Samsung but a lot of reviews complained about the Netflix app being slow or cutting out. Also, people thought the tv was totally internet ready to later find out they had to purchase a separate part which was $50-$80.

As long as it says built-in wifi will a separate part not be needed?

I have a Linksys wireless router. Also have a Roku in another room and am unsure I want to buy another if I can just get the tv with all of the options built in. It will mainly be used for Netflix and Pandora I think.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    What do I need to look out for?

I was looking at a Samsung but a lot of reviews complained about the Netflix app being slow or cutting out. Also, people thought the tv was totally internet ready to later find out they had to purchase a separate part which was $50-$80.

As long as it says built-in wifi will a separate part not be needed?

I have a Linksys wireless router. Also have a Roku in another room and am unsure I want to buy another if I can just get the tv with all of the options built in. It will mainly be used for Netflix and Pandora I think.
    Make sure it is built in. For example this tv: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L...8008480&sr=8-4

Is "wifi ready" meaning you have to buy a separate WiFi usb stick where this one has built in WiFi: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752RAWW

I like Panasonic TVs, but I haven't really looked at other ones.

We have a 37" Panasonic LED Viera that's connected via ethernet. It works well.

I have several TV's with internet. The once in my home office gets Netflix, etc via the Blu Ray player. My other 2 (bedroom and living room) were Wifi ready. The Wifi receiver is built in and no additional device is needed as long as you have wireless internet in your home. I have had my Samsung in my bedroom for a number of years and have had no problems with Netflix or Hulu.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55D7.../dp/B004O6MN7O

It has a wireless network adapter built in, and connects to a wireless router as easily as a laptop, phone, etc. Netflix performance is more dependent upon the speed of your broadband connection through your ISP.

Since it's connected to my Wifi network, I use my phone as a remote. :-) I love the TV, but, if I finish 25th grade this summer, I might get this year's voice control model.

Novie, can you provide us a link to this Samsung TV? I purchased a Vizio Smart TV for my bedroom. I also may use it as a computer monitor, hence the size, 26 inches. It has built-in Wi-Fi along with Netflix, Hulu, and plenty of apps for watching TV. Using this TV for Netflix is brain-dead simple. I would've preferred LED backlit instead of LED edgelit, but I'm not watching a whole lot of TV in this room. The audio is not very good so I hooked up a pair of Audioengine A5 Powered Speakers . With this TV I don't need to buy any extra adapters. I do use a Roku Player for my home theater in my living room.
    Last edited by PN; 05-26-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Thanx everyone. I always come here for my tech questions.

Here is an amazon link to the model. I believe Sears and Walmart have it for cheaper. It was another model that had the bad reviews, but now I see a few not so great reviews on this model on Amazon. Although, they seem to be user issues with not knowing how to program it possibly? I could look at other brands, but I've been pretty lucky with Samsung tvs as has my family.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46EH.../dp/B0074FGP4Y

Can you actually pull up a web browser and surf the net on these tvs without hooking up your computer to it? I see this one isn't compatible w/ wireless keyboards.

PN...don't know if I noted but this will be for a living room area/ home theater so hoping for decent sound etc too.
    Last edited by november; 05-27-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    PN...don't know if I noted but this will be for a living room area/ home theater so hoping for decent sound etc too.
    Samsung's a solid brand -- I have a Vizio TV but have had a couple Samsung disc players, a DVD player and now a Bluray player that connects to the internet and does Netflix, Blockbuster, Youtube, and Pandora -- but Samsung TVs are supposed to be very good.

From what I've researched, no flatscreen TV will have great sound, and you'll likely want external speakers eventually. You don't have to get those expensive speakers PN linked to (they cost more than his TV! lol) though I'm sure they sound great. I got a simple Altec Lansing speaker system (meant for computers) for under $40.00 that sound really good for my apartment (two speakers and a subwoofer). Of course, you can go all-out for a home theater surround sound system, but it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    You don't have to get those expensive speakers PN linked to (they cost more than his TV! lol) though I'm sure they sound great.
    Scorp, I had the speakers long before I purchased the TV. :-)

Now, is your Linksys router 802.11g or 802.11n? How far will the TV be from the router? The router may very well be a factor when streaming video to your TV. I experience minor buffering every now and then when streaming Netflix. In my case, I do not believe the stuttering or buffering of the video has anything to do with my router, but rather congestion on the Internet.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Rus, my Samsung flatscreen I have in another roon actually has decent sound. Funny though my bf has a Samsung that is a different model and smaller and his speakers sucked. He went all out with speakers and a subwoofer spending a lot. I don't need it too loud as I have neighbors very close by so will probably go your route if needed. Thank you for letting me know a cheaper system would work great.

PN, it's a G I guess? Looking all over it all I can see is that it says Wireless-G Broadband Router 2.4 GHz 54Mbps. The router will be in the same room so should work well. My roku is in an entirely different room further away and it hardly ever buffers while I'm watching anything and the rare occassion it does it's very quick.

What are your thoughts on the TV I linked? Can I browse the web on these internet connected tvs or just use the apps like Netflix etc? If I can, isn't it hard to type things out with just a remote?