Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miami Project Newsletter

SCS is planning a human clinical trial in little old New Zealand at the end of this year, so I'm told.

I have been warned to be sceptical about it

But who knows

Chris2,

Believe it when I see it. I requested some SCS "newsletters" last year and I may be blasted for this, but I was not overly excited by them. I know any and all research is valuable, but they (SCS) criticized Lima, yet they are "exploring" his technique.

Chris2,

According to the SCS, human trials providing "significant" recovery are to take place this year, as follows:

Through the efforts of its research, it is now on the threshold of providing THAT CURE. Specially grown stem cells are to be used in the first human treatments during the period of this year. A final application will soon be made for human trials in chronic spinal cord injury using the same autologous cell treatment.

Human trials will also begin in Estonia early in the fall and the University of Alabama a little later for both Parkinsonism and chronic spinal cord injury."

This is truly great news for persons suffering from Parkinsonism and those with spinal cord injury.

Here's the website

Link

[This message was edited by seneca on 02-22-04 at 11:55 PM.]

Thanks Schmeky for this wonderful news!!!

"Together we stand, divided we fall..."

Yes DA "...a basketball game is not fun if you hide the scoreboard."

on the other hand, you can make the game go on forever.

schmecky do you know how much later the trials will start for chronics?

Sorry but I think this is an announcement made in 2000. I know they announced the Estonia trials in 2000 and if you read the article you see that they are also talking about June 2000.

To make it more clear I can also add to say that Cedars already announced a trial for chronic SCI's in 1999. The trial for Parkinsons which they were referring to in the article(on 8 June 2000) was stopped after they succesfully treated 1 person

[This message was edited by pecla on 02-22-04 at 08:01 PM.]

Originally posted by pecla:

Sorry but I think this is an announcement made in 2000. I know they announced the Estonia trials in 2000 and if you read the article you see that they are also talking about June 2000.

To make it more clear I can also add to say that Cedars already announced a trial for chronic SCI's in 1999. The trial for Parkinsons which they were referring to in the article(on 8 June 2000) was stopped after they succesfully treated 1 person

[This message was edited by pecla on 02-22-04 at 08:01 PM.]
    The reason the Cedar Sinai trial was stopped was because the FDA got wind of what they were doing (harvesting a patients own stem cells and growing them 3 months before replacing them in the patient), and they were forced to stop until FDA approval was given about 1 1/2 years later, but by then Cedar Sinai got cold feet and refused to continue the trials, afraid of possible controversy.

"Together we stand, divided we fall..."

Could some of our Australian members contact the Aussie SCS Chapter to see what the status is??

There seems to be some controversey on how current and accurate this websites data is.

The SCS has declared in their November newsletter that they hope to start human trials within the next 18 months if all goes well.
    Her is an abstract of the current status of the Australian SCS; Prof Waite is an expert in olfactory ensheathing glia (OEG). Her lab will combine OEG's with human stromal cells, in both acute and chronic spinal injured nude rats. Some of these animals will have added inhibitors and/or growth factors. At least one group will have everything added that we think will aid spinal repair. We hope to replicate this in Perth with Giles Plant.
    Here is the link for more info; http://www.lionsclubtraralgon.asn.au/scf.html