Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-term Results of Spinal Cord Injury Therapy Using Mesenchymal Stem Cells Derived

Long-term Results of Spinal Cord Injury Therapy Using Mesenchymal Stem Cells Derived

< Previous Article | Next Article >
    Neurosurgery:
    May 2012 - Volume 70 - Issue 5 - p 1238–1247
    doi: 10.1227/NEU.0b013e31824387f9
    Research-Human-Clinical Studies
    Long-term Results of Spinal Cord Injury Therapy Using Mesenchymal Stem Cells Derived From Bone Marrow in Humans
    Park, Jin Hoon MD*; Kim, Dae Yul MD‡; Sung, Inn Young MD‡; Choi, Gyong Hyo MD‡; Jeon, Min Ho MD‡; Kim, Kwang Kuk MD§; Jeon, Sang Ryong MD*

Free Access

Article Outline
    Author Information
    Departments of *Neurological Surgery

‡Rehabilitation Medicine

§Neurology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea

Correspondence: Sang Ryong Jeon, MD, PhD, Department of Neurological Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388-1, Poongnap-dong, Songpa-gu, Seoul, 138-736, South Korea. E-mail: srjeon@amc.seoul.kr

Received December 10, 2010

Accepted November 9, 2011

Abstract
    BACKGROUND: Although the transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) after spinal cord injury (SCI) has shown promising results in animals, less is known about the effects of autologous MSCs in human SCI.

OBJECTIVE: To describe the long-term results of 10 patients who underwent intramedullary direct MSCs transplantation into injured spinal cords.

METHODS: Autologous MSCs were harvested from the iliac bone of each patient and expanded by culturing for 4 weeks. MSCs (8 × 106) were directly injected into the spinal cord, and 4 × 107 cells were injected into the intradural space of 10 patients with American Spinal Injury Association class A or B injury caused by traumatic cervical SCI. After 4 and 8 weeks, an additional 5 × 107 MSCs were injected into each patient through lumbar tapping. Outcome assessments included changes in the motor power grade of the extremities, magnetic resonance imaging, and electrophysiological recordings.

RESULTS: Although 6 of the 10 patients showed motor power improvement of the upper extremities at 6-month follow-up, 3 showed gradual improvement in activities of daily living, and changes on magnetic resonance imaging such as decreases in cavity size and the appearance of fiber-like low signal intensity streaks. They also showed electrophysiological improvement. All 10 patients did not experience any permanent complication associated with MSC transplantation.

CONCLUSION: Three of the 10 patients with SCI who were directly injected with autologous MSCs showed improvement in the motor power of the upper extremities and in activities of daily living, as well as significant magnetic resonance imaging and electrophysiological changes during long-term follow-up.

CLICK ON LINK BELOW FOR MORE.

http://journals.lww.com/neurosurgery...herapy.21.aspx
    "And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

This is good, right?
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by topperf View Post
    This is good, right?
    It is good news! Recently there has been allot of excitement about the regenerative properties of MSCells. These researchers used autologous msc(the cells were cultivated from the patient), just wait til someone creates msc derived from ESC.

same as the brazil trial correct?

looks good eh

any cc members live near this place

it would be great to see or hear about the real motor recovery data
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Great article FTI! What I found interesting and encouraging is that Dr. Jeon Sang-ryong used autologous MSC's. Another encouraging thing is that theres this small biotech company called Advanced Cell Technology who will be filing an IND in early 2013 for MSC's derived from HESC. ACT's MSC's will be purer, younger a way more potent than the cells Dr. Jeon Sang-ryong used in his research.

Well data is not much encouraging i think because only 3 patients got some function and also way of injecting is same through lumbar puncture not direct into spinal cord.

Will ATC be doing SCI trial next year?