Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long-term Results of Spinal Cord Injury Therapy Using Mesenchymal Stem Cells Derived

This is really good news.. my son would give anything to get back his hands and regain some trunk control ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Well data is not much encouraging i think because only 3 patients got some function and also way of injecting is same through lumbar puncture not direct into spinal cord.

Will ATC be doing SCI trial next year?
    ACT is not doing sci research, they merely have a very pure and potent embryonic stem cell line that could be used to create other types of specific cells such as, MSC's and neuronal cells. ACT's hesc are not controversial since the are gotten from a single-cell blastomere. These cells the gold standard in stem cells. IPS and Adult Stem Cells arent as pure or potent as ACT's hesc's.

http://www.advancedcell.com/our-tech...-publications/

"The technique involves removal of a single blastomere (cell) from an eight-cell stage embryo, which can then generate stem cell lines that have the same characteristics as the embryo. The biopsy procedure does not damage or destroy the embryo, nor does it interfere with the embryo’s developmental potential. In fact, the technique is very similar to pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD). PGD is widely used during in vitro fertilization (IVF), and its safety and efficacy are amply demonstrated by the thousands of healthy people worldwide whose parents used PGD".
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

If it's true that 30% of patients gained function through a lumbar puncture, how come this isn't much bigger news? For me the fact that it is through a lumbar puncture makes it huge. So many more people can receive that type of treatment.