Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't know where to post...I'm ready to have a baby

There are some medications that they will try to wean the dose, but not take you off of completely. I am not sure if midrodrine is one of them, but consult with your doctor. If you can 't tolerate being off of it, they my be able to tailor your dose some.

There are other Meds, like colace, that you might even be prescribed.

I would take with your SCI doc and OB before I started worrying too much.

CKF

I literally worry about it everyday. Plus that show paralyzed and pregnant scared the crap out of me

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    I literally worry about it everyday. Plus that show paralyzed and pregnant scared the crap out of me
    Rachelle , I know 3 quad women who gave birth after their injury. all healthy and hapy babies. 2 of them are pregnant with number 2.. sigh..i wish i wasnt student so we could try..one day one day

Was that Michelle on the show? First, stop worrying. I'll see if I can get her to stop by to stay hi. I wish I had gone ahead with baby plans but I don't think our marriage would have survived the stress. I have low bp and there are ways around it depending on when it happens, how low it goes and how well you manage when it is low. You may need to change your bladder care during part or all of your pregnancy to keep your blood volume up. Actually, knocking out anti-spasmotics can make all that tone useful in squeezing your blood vessels. You don't want to over squeeze the baby though.

I really wish TLC would get someone like Emi on and how well she coped physically after her 2 babies. Michelle's first show was up to and just after delivery. Her second was where she had to stay partially reclined to in bed to maintain her bp. That's rare even in the SCI group for it to run 24 hours a day for so many years.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

No! Don't let that scare you! I have 2 very good higher quad female friends that have kids and did not experience the troubles she did. That was the worst case scenario imo.

First off, see if you can manage your bp with just water. I was taking midodrine for 2 yrs but haven't taken it in over a year. If I feel a bit lightheaded (usually in A.M. and meals) I drink water and it does the trick of raising my bp within minutes.

Go for it! You will make great parents!
    Message me if you want a connect with my girls, they are amazing mothers and had births no different than any other typical births.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Hi Rachelle

I am a higher quad (C5), and have had 2 healthy boys...now ages 8 and 12. I found that my bp actually was a little higher when pregnant (it's always low, but have never taken meds for it). I am very happy I was able to deliver before watching "Paralyzed and Pregnant" as it would've scared me off. I think her's was an extreme case, and if I remember correctly she suffered from severe infections, as well as C-diff. The result from both could be AD, which can actually cause extreme fluctuations in blood pressure, high and low.

I'm not going to say it was all easy, but soooo worth it! I know quite a few women (7 I can think of right now) who have had babies post injury, and none have had such an extreme case. There are always issues with bladder, bowels, meds...inability to see your toes . You need a good support system, and a medical team you can trust...I met with anaesthesia 2 months prior to delivery to discuss AD management, and my mind was put at ease on that issue.

It's such an exciting time! I wish you all he best, and if you'd like to chat, message me

C5 Quad Mom

I'm a C5 quad & the mother to a beautiful 6 yr old. If I would have seen Paralyzed & Pregnant I would have been scared to death! My pregnancy was very normal & uneventful. My blood pressure normally runs very low (although I'm on no meds for it) & when I was pregnant it would dip very low, in the mornings mainly, I would get light-headed and dizzy (I never passed out) and I would just lay back down for a about 15 mins and was fine. I had morning sickness, I never threw up and I would lay down every afternoon for about an hour just to get out of my chair....very uneventful as I said. I have a Mitrofanoff Stoma and it held up just great during my pregnancy. I did have to have a C-Section because he wouldn't turn and they tried turning him but he wouldn't. It can be scary but it so worth it! I have healthy AB friends who were a lot younger than I was and had so many problems. Find a good Dr & you know your own body & don't rely on TV show that showed an extreme end of it. IMO Good Luck!

^ My girls! Thank you )
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

i am c7. gave birth thru emergency c section (not related to sci). but an epidural is pretty important. my t6 friend almost died of dysreflexia during birth. don't be scared. just be in high risk facility, epidural and you and baby will be fine. i had to fight my insurance for high risk hospital, loma linda, way before delivery. tg, i did.