Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder Botox

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bladder Botox

Hi, I have read a lot of posts on bladder botox, but haven’t found exactly what I am looking for…
    My injury is C2-T2 spinal cord infarction from spinal cord stroke. ASIA D. Pretty close to AB function. 5 years post. I have bladder urgency and have tried all the drugs and the implanted stimulator. I am currently on Toviaz and Tofranil. I do not cath.
    I have been thinking that instead of living my life 5 feet away from the bathroom at all times, I would try to put my bladder on lockdown with botox and cath. I spoke with my Urologist and she said she thinks I can have a lose dose injection of the botox (I think she said 100) and probably not need to cath. I didn’t think that was even an option.
    So my question to you guys is… has anyone tried a low does of botox? What was your experience? Any opinions?
    Thanks.

I usually don't cath but with the Botox I have to. I got 30 injection last July and it is still working. I am not sure if I want to do it again because I prefer not to cath and do it the normal way. And since I live in Norway and they don't give anything before the injections, it was a painful hour.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Thank you for your response. Did all of your urgency totally go away? No more accidents? Just the burden of the cathing process?

I am having a really hard time deciding. I hated cathing when I had to do it, but after 5 years of always being stressed about an accident and all the embarrassing times it happens, the memory of cathing has faded I think.

In the beginning all the urgency was gone. After a few month I could feel my needs. But no accidents at all. I had my first accident two days ago taking a 10cm curb after 5 pints of beer and no accessible bathroom.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Couple follow up questions for everyone…
    1. I don’t get UTIs now. I assume the Botox will mean I will have UTIs because I will be cathing and when I cathed when I was first injured I had a problem with them. When I have a UTI will I leak? Or do you not leak because of the Botox?
    2. I read in a post that Botox can be injected in the pelvic floor or the bladder. What is the difference for results?
    3. Is there any issue with pregnancy and having bladder Botox?
    Thanks All.

You cannot get botox when pregnant as far as i know.
    cwo

Well I had 100(cc?) of botox in 20 injections under anesthesia yesterday. So far I am still urinating on my own. I know there are some other incomplete members with similar issues to mine on the forum, so I will keep you informed on how it works for me.

It takes some days before it is working. But I would really like to know if you have to cath after 20 injection. I have a new appointment with the urologist 20th of August, I don't even know if I would do it again.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Can someone tell me how many days after treatment until bladder botox is supposed to be at its full effect? I had it 7 days ago. I am still urinating on my own, but I also have had some episodes of urgency… though it seems to be less often, I am not sure if it has improved enough to change my quality of life.

Thanks for the info.

7- maybe 10 days. And did you empty on urodynamics? what is your PVR?
    Capacity?
    CWO