Thread: 24 inch wide wheelchair

24 inch wide wheelchair

Anyone out there know of a lighter weight wheelchair that is 24 inches wide. I have a friend who needs one, currently the chair they are using weighs almost 70lbs. They want something that they can fold up and put in back of a car. Any help would be appreciated

I did a search on www.spinlife.com for you and came up with this one, which is a bit better weight, but not by much.

http://www.spinlife.com/Drive-Medica...roductID=82693

Price range?

Others know better than me, but my (rigid) chair is 15" and the whole thing is between 22-24" wide with no camber and no axle spacing.

So chairs between 14" and 16" seat width are what they should be looking at. No idea if it being a folder adds any width.

Do they need a chair with a total width of 24" or a seat width of 24"?
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Oh, good point. I thought the OP was asking about total width. I was probably wrong :-}.

Yeah, I thought he meant seat width too, as getting a chair with a total width of 24 inches and lightweight is a breeze to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Yeah, I thought he meant seat width too, as getting a chair with a total width of 24 inches and lightweight is a breeze to find.
    Ditto.

SCI_OTR did a thread on a bariatric tilite folding chair that his VA got... http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=133417

The chair is only 20" wide, but maybe one of the options (2GX and AeroX) with HD package can be up to 24?
    Last edited by ~Lin; 05-24-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: include link
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I am not aware of any manufacture that make a ultra light-weight 24" wide seat in a folding frame. Invacare ProSpinX4 can be ordered 22 wide. Same with the Quickie2. Both of these are less then half of the 70lb current chair.

If your friend has to have 24" wide, you have to go with a rigid frame chair. Most of the manufactures make a K9 chair that can be ordered in any size with any weight capacity. The overall weight of one of these chairs will be less then half of the above mentioned 70lbs. I personally have ordered the Invacare Terminator in 24" wide with a 450lb capacity. My client was very happy with it.