Thread: Great Hotel

Great Hotel

Wife and I attended a PVA function in Charlotte, NC this week and selected a Microtel Inn and Suites facility. I have read the chain is going all out for to make accommodations for chair users and other PWDs.

Our room with two large beds (all beds seem large as I use a hospital bed at home) was very WC accessible. All light switches are lowered; the shower is a roll in facility; coat hooks, and clothes hanger pole at WC height; door handles are lever type; beds are on legs, not pedestals, so hoists can be used. Entrace is level with parking lot and front doors are automatic.

Breakfast is included in the room charge and is the usual fare. Nothing special but very adequate.

The only fault I found was the hallway carpet is detaching from the floor causing some ripples that may give a manual user a hard time.

We will certainly seek out Microtel in our future travels.

Accidently yours
    Rex Carr
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

cool im thinking of going to charlotte was this hotel near the nascar hall of fame and other race shops sounds like a good one
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Nascar

The hotel is just north of I-85 just off U.S. 77on Banner Elk. Hall of Fame is downCharlottee. Track is northeast of town. Best you check a map for distances.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

I too just stayed at a Microtel last weekend and thought the room was great. I attended the Arkansas state Lion's convention in Conway, Ar. The hotel itself seemed small (not a bad thing), but was convienent to most everything. I loved the bathroom, coffee in the room , and it was very clean. This one had biscuits and gravy at the breakfast bar. Yum ! I picked it for the location and the price. The room was half the price of rooms at the Hilton, headquarters for the convention. I will book with this chain again.

We use microtel on road trips a lot. It's cost-effective, especially when all that's needed is a place to sleep. I've never run into the issue of beds that are too tall there either. Accessibility is generally pretty good. Food is edible, but I'll almost always opt to eat elsewhere (sorry rebajane).

good to know - I usually go for La Quinta's for the same reason - the newer ones usually work out great

We stayed at a Comfort Inn & Suites in Rapid City, SD over the weekend. It was very convenient to my sister's house for her daughter's graduation festivities.

Won't be on the top of my list in future. We were put in an accessible room on the third floor which is perfect for a wheelchair user in case of fire or the elevator not working. Bed was on a pedestal and had a semi-bad mattress. Not much room to move around in. No roll-in shower and very little that I would consider accessible in the room. I would have left for another place, but there was a state track meet in town, graduation weekend for all the schools and Memorial Weekend in a tourist town. Rooms were scarce.

Hotel

I too stayed in a Comfort Inn and Suites and had the same problems as a previous poster. It's mind boggling to put a WC user above the ground floor.

I asked the desk clerk who was assigned to haul me from the second floor to street level. I got a thousand yard stare that told me he did not have the slightest clue as to what I was commenting on.

Solidly,
    Rocky Stone
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now