Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How flat of a surface is needed to fine tune wheelchair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How flat of a surface is needed to fine tune wheelchair?

To adjust the camber, caster angle all need to place our chair on a flat surface.

1. How to create a flat surface needed?

2. I find that nor matter how flat of my floor looks, it still uneven, front caster is still tends to float a little bit at certain position.

Please advice, thank you.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    To adjust the camber, caster angle all need to place our chair on a flat surface.

1. How to create a flat surface needed?

2. I find that nor matter how flat of my floor looks, it still uneven, front caster is still tends to float a little bit at certain position.

Please advice, thank you.
    Do you have access to a decent size kitchen/dining table and an inexpensive level?

One like this.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

If your table isn't sitting level, you can usually easily make it level by just placing something small under the table legs to make it level. I've made adjustments to my chair sitting on top of my dining room table quite a few times in the past and it always worked out great. Oh and I forgot to mention a angle finder is an excellent tool to use for adjusting the caster and camber on your casters.

There's many different types, but here's the one I like to use.

Good Luck with making your adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Do you have access to a decent size kitchen/dining table and an inexpensive level?

One like this.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

If your table isn't sitting level, you can usually easily make it level by just placing something small under the table legs to make it level. I've made adjustments to my chair sitting on top of my dining room table quite a few times in the past and it always worked out great. Oh and I forgot to mention a angle finder is an excellent tool to use for adjusting the caster and camber on your casters.

There's many different types, but here's the one I like to use.

Good Luck with making your adjustments.
    Thanks for your information.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Thanks for your information.
    You're welcome.

Try to find the flattest surface possible, but the floating caster problem you describe is likely the result of an imperfect frame. The heat from welding a metal frame will distort the geometry, even if the parts are well fixtured during the process. If you're confident that your reference surface is flat and you still have a caster floating, you can use a shim under the lower bearing on the caster fork housing to lower that caster by whatever distance you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Alloy View Post
    Try to find the flattest surface possible, but the floating caster problem you describe is likely the result of an imperfect frame. The heat from welding a metal frame will distort the geometry, even if the parts are well fixtured during the process. If you're confident that your reference surface is flat and you still have a caster floating, you can use a shim under the lower bearing on the caster fork housing to lower that caster by whatever distance you need.
    I think the frame is OK, just very very light floating at certain part of the floor.

And there is a great angle finder/level combo at Sears that is electronic for about $25. Works great for me as I am the best reading all those little marks on the other devices! They should of never given me a calculator or computer in high school! It is the death of my generation. Hell, I even sometimes have to think twice when I handwrite something instead of type!
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by russianrob View Post
    And there is a great angle finder/level combo at Sears that is electronic for about $25. Works great for me as I am the best reading all those little marks on the other devices! They should of never given me a calculator or computer in high school! It is the death of my generation. Hell, I even sometimes have to think twice when I handwrite something instead of type!
    OK, I will try to look around.

Quote Originally Posted by russianrob View Post
    And there is a great angle finder/level combo at Sears that is electronic for about $25. Works great for me as I am the best reading all those little marks on the other devices! ...
    Uhh, russian rob ... Hell, I've got an automatic level finder that only cost several thousand dollars – thought the floors of our house-on-stilts were flat as a pancake but, abandon my new chair locks-off, it'll likely take a trip all on it's own!

How far up does it float? Is this an open frame or a box?

If its an open frame the footrest is a structural part adding rigidity to the whole chair.

It is not uncommon to have a floating caster result from loosening the footrest with the chair unoccupied.

I would really recommend you have an accomplice adjust the footrest while you are sitting in the chair.

This is by far the most common cause, and fix, of a floating caster I have encountered, in open frame chairs.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.