Thread: Swopping 24" wheels with 25" wheels

Swopping 24" wheels with 25" wheels

Hi there, been a while since my last post.

I have a quick yet important question for all the senior members here.

Basically, I am using my Tilite with Spinergy LX 24" wheels. I am curious to know, if installing a Spinergy LX 25" wheels, will it seriously affect the way my wheelchair moves, propulsion, balance, etc.?

How different will the additional 1" make to the geometry of my chair for daily use, propulsion and balance? I am a T5-T6 paraplegic

Appreciate all wise advise and comments on this matter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smokinn.babe View Post
    Hi there, been a while since my last post.

I have a quick yet important question for all the senior members here.

Basically, I am using my Tilite with Spinergy LX 24" wheels. I am curious to know, if installing a Spinergy LX 25" wheels, will it seriously affect the way my wheelchair moves, propulsion, balance, etc.?

How different will the additional 1" make to the geometry of my chair for daily use, propulsion and balance? I am a T5-T6 paraplegic

Appreciate all wise advise and comments on this matter.

Thanks
    I haven't been here long, but I'll try to help answer your questions. The larger the wheel the more ground you can cover from a push and the less you'll need to push. Also a larger wheel acts as a bigger lever which on your first push may take slightly more effort, but once you get going you'll notice that it takes less of a push to propel yourself. As for changing the geometry of your chair it would raise the rear of your chair to be slightly higher and in doing so would put a tad more pressure on your casters. I'm not familiar with that chair, but I'm sure someone else who is will chime in and let you know how it will affect the geometry of your specific chair. Just a guess, but I think you'd be totally fine swapping out your 24's for the 25's.

If you go to a 1" larger diameter main wheel, you'll need to shim the front casters down by about 1/2". The caster fork stem needs to be kept perpendicular to the ground to maintain proper caster operation and main wheel toe angle alignment.

Switching will raise the rear seat height 1/2". If the chair is an adjustable like the ZRA, you'll have to adjust the front casters to be 90o to the floor. If it isn't, you can raise the fsh by putting the front wheels in the next lower hole on the fork, that'll raise it 1/2"

Smokinn.babe, Smokey here. I had 24" Spinergy LX wheels with a solid SHOX tire on it and I felt like I was tipping backwards too far. I sold them and bought 25" Spinergy LX wheels with solid SHOX tires and I felt more comfortable. It raised the seat to floor length in the back of the seat maybe 1/2", the back angle of my chair was a little more upright, I did not notice any difference in pushing propulsion and I felt much more comfortable. I didn't adjust my front casters. I think the overall difference was minimal except I felt more upright and balanced.

Hi all, sorry I took a while to reply as I have been extremely caught up with work. Thank you so much to all that contributed...especially regarding the caster fork stem that needs to be kept perpendicular to the ground to maintain proper caster operation and main wheel toe angle alignment. It makes sense, funny how it made sense but I never would have thought about it.
    I am condidering a pair of wheels from X-core. Am bored with my LX. How much heavier is the X-core compared with the LX?