Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: am very afraid, nurses please help

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    was asked for update. have none. am in terrible pain and tired of it all. no update as is depressing. i hurt bad, they must be missing something and i am tired. everybody dies. am about ready.
    I agree with HLH Cass. Its time for some pain meds even if it zonks you out.

I am going through the "relaxation" therapy crap now. We have been doing that for years Cass or else you would have not made it this far without medication. I just had no idea there was a professional name for the place I take myself to in order to escape pain. However, I will say it does work quite well.

Please call your doctor and get some pain medication. It may clear your mind up just enough to be able to focus on your treatment and contacting your doctor.

I think you need a new doctor no matter how good he/she has been in the past. You are far beyond what is expected. Pain is nasty when it gets to the point you are at. Please call another doctor.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    You seem to be torturing yourself. I'm not sure why..... It is horrible to have pain, and to feel that you aren't getting answers. But sometimes you need to extend a hand as well.
    ^^THIS, THIS, AND THIS AGAIN.^^

I understand being afraid of overdosing. I hate feeling groggy and high -- my mind is the only good thing I've got left. And I get the concerns about being labeled an addict/junkie/drug seeker/etc.

But I also understand being in unendurable, "makes you want to die" pain day in and day out.

And I know that when the pain gets that bad and hangs on for a long time, the need to MAKE IT STOP -- even for just a little while -- trumps *everything* else. When you're in that kind of pain for any length of time, you become willing to try just about anything to make it stop.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Thinking about you cass ... stay the course and be the strong woman I know you are. (I know, easy for me to say ..)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

i just need to know what is causing this pelvic pain which is new. they must be missing something. it is pretty bad. it is making me crazy.

i just need to know what is causing this pelvic pain which is new. they must be missing something. it is pretty bad. it is making me crazy.

Why can't it be your fractured pelvis?

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Why can't it be your fractured pelvis?
    i don't know. nobody will say the cause. i now have 3 doctors and just scheduled a 4th, a bone doc. i have pain pills but am holding off on them as they tend to make me sick. i am trying. this all started 5 months ago. wouldn't a bone fracture have healed by now or at least gotten better? i am really depressed by all this. i mean, i'm really glad the tests are showing nothing, but this pain is something and it started with a uti. very, very frustrating.

thank you all for even reading, let alone caring.

of coarse we care silly.
    very sorry it is taking so long to figure this out for you.

i don't know. nobody will say the cause. i now have 3 doctors and just scheduled a 4th, a bone doc. i have pain pills but am holding off on them as they tend to make me sick. i am trying. this all started 5 months ago. wouldn't a bone fracture have healed by now or at least gotten better? i am really depressed by all this. i mean, i'm really glad the tests are showing nothing, but this pain is something and it started with a uti. very, very frustrating.

thank you all for even reading, let alone caring.
    Cass, our bones are brittle and can take longer to heal than those in ABs. It could still be fractured. I still have problems with an area in my left iliac crest that had a small fracture in '93. All these decades later and it hurts. It is nothing like it was in those first months, but it still causes pain, some days more than others.

If the pain meds tend to make you sick, you might try something. When you go to bed at night, have a small glass of tea and a few crackers where you can reach them in the a.m. Before you transfer to your chair, sip on the tea and eat the crackers. Don't take the pills on an empty stomach.

Also, if the meds are in tablet form and not a capsule, only take a half. It may help reduce unpleasant side effects.

Keep seeking answers from your docs, Cass.

Hugs.

I would be really suspicious that the bone fracture is the cause of the pain. Don't you have one doctor helping facilitate this work up, like your primary care doctor? You said you like her, but if she isn't answering this question then she isn't doing her job. Probably no doctor has focused on the bone fracture because that isn't their speciality (etc. orthopedist). A physiatrist in combo with an orthopedist at a rehab center would be best. We'll see what the bone doc (?endocrinologist) will say.

Do you have a physiatrist? Can you go to a major rehab center that has physiatrists/ortho guys on site, like U of W?

You are asking the right questions....

Is the fracture causing my pain?
    Could this have fractured 5 months ago, when my pain started?
    Why isn't it healed yet?
    Is there an inflammation/infection/cancer/osteoporosis in the bone that made it weak and is that contributing to the pain?
    Did I injure a nerve with the fracture, so maybe that is still hurting?
    Do I need any different tests to make sure there is not a hidden problem in the bone that needs treatment?
    Have you looked at my x-rays/MRIs/CT scans yourself, with a radiologist, to be sure this is the only problem going on?
    How do we treat it?
    How quickly should it heal?
    Do I need to take an additional medicine like Forteo to help in the healing? Do I need calcium/vitamin D?

I would write down a list of all my questions, and bring them with you. If they can't answer them, ask them can they find out the answer, and get back to you? That is their job. But ask nicely

Again, for bone pain often a mixture of medicines helps. An anti-inflammatory medicine and an opiod pain medicine. Sometimes a nerve pain medicine will also help. Are you taking either of these medicines? There are many many options, and you should ask your doctor if they can keep in touch with you until you get the pain under control. If you get upset stomach, ask the docs the best way to take the pills. Sometimes it is better with food, sometimes not. Sometimes you take an anti-nausea pill a few minutes before the pain pill. Sometimes you just have to stick with the pill for a few days so your body can get used to it. Sometimes you need to start at a very low dose, and slowly increase it. Again, go to the doctor with a list of what you have tried since the pain started, the doses you tried, how long you took them, and why you stopped.

Also, if possible go to the doctor with a list of all the tests you had in order, copies of the reports of the scans.

There are always options. The hardest part is finding the best person to talk to.

Let us know what the bone doctor says to your list of questions. I would also call your primary care doctor and ask the same list of questions!

hlh, thank you, but those have been my questions all along. and, you must not be in seattle area as UW is a real pita to go to. your profile is empty so am a bit confused, but that's ok. i'm already doing what you said and have been doing so. every doc has had my test results, as will the next one. SOP. it's just a long process and i'm in pain and not willing to jump on those pain meds yet. uribel has helped, a bit of a mystery as it is bladder analgesic. i don't want a pain med that masks the symptoms. i want answers.

next dr is physiatrist at swedish. i expect bone cancer tests next.
    Last edited by cass; 09-15-2012 at 01:58 AM.