Thread: Pioneering UK stem cell trial passes safety test

Pioneering UK stem cell trial passes safety test

Pioneering UK stem cell trial passes safety test

Reuters) - A pioneering clinical trial to inject stem cells into the brains of patients disabled by stroke has been cleared to progress to the next stage after the treatment raised no safety concerns in the first three candidates.
    ReNeuron Group PLC, the British biotech behind the trial, said the independent Data Safety Monitoring Board had reviewed safety data from its ReN001 stem cell therapy and recommended the trial advance to the higher dose.

"Data from the laboratory safety tests, neurological examinations and neurofunctional tests conducted thus far indicate that the ReN001 treatment is safe and well-tolerated at the initial dose," the company said in a statement on Thursday.

read....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7801BB20110901

I could not find out which type of cells were used. fetal neural cell were also planted in the brain with safe results elcewhere.
    but anyway if it has passed the safety test is good news, more emphasis can be placed on efficacy now. i wish them well

Great news in general

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    I could not find out which type of cells were used. fetal neural cell were also planted in the brain with safe results elcewhere.
    but anyway if it has passed the safety test is good news, more emphasis can be placed on efficacy now. i wish them well
    These cells are human fetal-derived Neural Stem Cells licensed from Stem Cells Inc (the company that is running the trial in Switzerland).

Im very impressed that ReNeuron has managed to move quite quickly through the safety stage here in the UK. Good luck to them!

Could it be used to halt multiinfart dementia that my Mother 90 has severely & I can see myself going the same way . I have already had the cardiac when ischemic signalling was known.I have also had abnormal EEG [ brain waves]