Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Them Bones View Post
    I have been playing for two years, T4 complete para, 5'6" tall. I have an Epi Les Paul (full size elec, heavier than a strat) and a Yamaha acoustic that's about 15/16 the size of a dreadnaught.

It was a while before I stopped feeling like I was tipping forward, but I kept up with it, and I found my balance. Kinda. I still tip sometimes, but it's very rare at this point. I always use straps to keep it kinda high. I can't balance at all with it just resting on my lap. So if I am testing one at a store I have to ask them to let me use a strap.

Otherwise, yeah, it sucks about balance. Like learning how to play isn't hard enough
    But you'll get balance as a side-effect of practicing. Remember, the only way to get better at playing is by playing! Even after two years I can see how far I've come! I'm excited for you and your new hobby! I hope the guitar takes a hold on you like it did on me!
    As far as electric guitars are concerned there is nothing more comfortable to hold, more ergonomic than a Strat-style guitar. It positions on your lap far more comfortably than a LP-style or 335-style guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    As far as electric guitars are concerned there is nothing more comfortable to hold, more ergonomic than a Strat-style guitar. It positions on your lap far more comfortably than a LP-style or 335-style guitar.
    I am saving for a USA Strat. My girlfriend and I are also saving for a house and a vacation. The last time I mentioned that I was saving for a strat, her exact words were:

"Motherfucker, if bitch ever rolls up in here and there is a third guitar that belongs to you, there had better be something of equal or greater value waiting for me."

So the strat will cost $2400 instead of $1200

Edit: holy shit, thousandth post!

I dunno, man, @4lbs my Parker Fly Deluxe is a dream to have in the lap, or slung around the neck! It has a extra wide bottom bout, too, making it more comfy on the leg. I dig it, for sure.

Here's a shot of me, a couple of years ago, with the Dynarest cushion, and a Cordoba Custom Artist, in rosewood and spruce.

For me, having learned to play with the guitar on my left leg, my left foot up on a raised footrest, and the guitar headstock up next to my head, having something like the Dynarest, A-Frame, or Neck-Up guitar support, etc is a big part of maintaining my ergonomics.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I dunno, man, @4lbs my Parker Fly Deluxe is a dream to have in the lap, or slung around the neck! It has a extra wide bottom bout, too, making it more comfy on the leg. I dig it, for sure.
    That's why I said "Strat-style": that would include an offset cutaway like the Parker. I've never owned a Parker but I think they're seriously cool. The ones I've ogled at most often are also very pricey.

4 lbs.? Are you sure it's that light? I thought the light ones were closer to 6 lbs.

That's why I said "Strat-style": that would include an offset cutaway like the Parker. I've never owned a Parker but I think they're seriously cool. The ones I've ogled at most often are also very pricey.

4 lbs.? Are you sure it's that light? I thought the light ones were closer to 6 lbs.
    Yeah, agreed, Strat-style applies to the Parker, for sure.

I have a 1996 Fly Deluxe. 4.6lbs, on my luggage scale. Current catalog does list them at ~5.5lbs. I know they do have new electronics, since mine was built. Perhaps there were other minor innovations that led to a little more weight. I dunno, I love the livin' CRAP out of mine, that's for sure.

The stereo output is very cool, especially when routed to separate output devices, for analog vs magnetic. Capable of a super full sound. Not everyone's cup of tea, but like I said, I dig it!

It's also a favorite among mine youngin's, on account of how light it is.

I got an eBay steal of a deal on this one, circa 2001. It needed a new truss rod, no problem, and was selling for pennies on the dollar vs original cost! I got lucky, for sure. Had the rod replaced at the factory, too, and it came back as good as new!

I have tried many guitars for different periods and find that I can get used to most body styles, but by far the most comfortable for me are the Steinberger L shaped guitars. They are tiny and accomodate very easy to the wheelchair, most even bring a leg rest integrated, which I dont use. They sound great too.

That Parker is beautiful. Congrats.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    I have tried many guitars for different periods and find that I can get used to most body styles, but by far the most comfortable for me are the Steinberger L shaped guitars. They are tiny and accomodate very easy to the wheelchair, most even bring a leg rest integrated, which I dont use. They sound great too.

That Parker is beautiful. Congrats.
    I had a Steinberger bass years ago. How do you hold it? With a strap is the only way I could make it work, especially being stuck in a chair.

I'm so used to having a big wooden box to hug, though, and hold onto while I'm playing, I think I'd feel a little naked holding a Steinberger!

What would I hide behind?!?!?

Last edited by DaleB; 06-01-2012 at 12:12 AM.

This is how I hold a Jackson (Strat type body) and an L shaped Steinberger type body. The Steinberger feels much more natural sitting down. I wear a strap for both that holds most of the guitar´s weight.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I had a Steinberger bass years ago. How do you hold it? With a strap is the only way I could make it work, especially being stuck in a chair.

I'm so used to having a big wooden box to hug, though, and hold onto while I'm playing, I think I'd feel a little naked holding a Steinberger!

What would I hide behind?!?!?

T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Hey, sorry to bring back this old thread, but Google led me here after searching for wheelchair + learning guitar. I wanted to share some of my findings in hopes this will help other para wannabe-shredders

In terms of playing posture, I went out and bought a Dynarest cushion http://www.vamu.se/, and it works well with my dreadnaught acoustic guitar. I go back and forth playing with and without it, still testing it out to be honest.

I think @SCIfor55yrs. has a great idea searching youtube for wheelchair + guitar to get some ideas on playing postures, to answer OPs original concern - though I hope he figured something out by now

I?m loving the photos of your axes, I?ll have to snap a good one and post it. I?m lucky to own a beautiful Taylor 7-series? now I just have to learn how to play it properly. I was reading up on what online guitar lessons are recommended... man, what a wasteland of bad sites. Finally found one decent one, they review the 4 Best Websites for Online Guitar Lessons. I started on JamPlay. OP are you still doing online lessons, and if so, what did you pick (free? paid?), how do you like them / did you keep it up? I?m loving it thus far, but I?m super early.

Got a "youth" acoustic guitar after struggling with full size for years. That said, I only plunk around for peace of mind, not a guitar player. Don't know if they have youth electric guitars. Hope you work something out! I've always found solace in the few chords I can handle.