Thread: Good News for Intermittent Catheter Users

Good News for Intermittent Catheter Users

I have been working with Catheter Pros who are owned by Experea Healthcare LLC and they are fantastic. I tried several other companies who insisted they could help with the costs of my catheters and instead they sent me bills for hundreds of dollars after their executives decided I didn't need assistance. Catheter Pros through Experea have actually helped me and after my deductible my catheters are free. I'm amazed and I highly recommend this company for those who have Medicare and no other insurance. I cannot tell you how much this has helped me and means to me. I am so happy that I do not have to go through the hassle and risk of infection by reusing. I hope that this can help others in the same situation as I am. This is their telephone number and I worked with a person named Janelle, (877-337-4399. I pray that you may have the same blessing that I have had.
    1 Corinthians 13:13

If you have Medicare, aren't up to 200 catheters supplied and covered each month? I am bombarded by vendors wanting me to order catheters throught them ever since Medicare changed the approval.

Anybody know the history of how and when this change occurred? Lobbying? I used to only get about ten catheters a month.

I found this on the website of a provider of urological equipment:
    "Effective April 1, 2008, all consumers, with or without a history of recurring urinary tract infections, can now receive one sterile urological catheter (and one packet of lubricant) for each catheterization. Intermittent catheter users are allowed a maximum of 200 catheters per month instead of the four catheters per month allowed under previous policy."

And this from another site:
    Medicare has made a significant policy change to increase the number of catheters provided to a patient each month.
    Before this policy change, qualified patients only were allowed 4 catheters per month. This means catheters designed for one-time use were required to be cleaned, boiled, dried, and re-used, sometimes up to 40 times before a new catheter is used.

However, all catheters are discouraged for re-use and the FDA requires that any catheters labeled as “sterile” are required to be packaged individually and thrown away after use.

Don’t’ Reuse your Catheters!
    Re-using catheters puts you at greater risk of Urinary Tract Infections (UTI). For this reason, even the FDA requires that catheter manufacturers are required to label sterile catheters for single-use only and discourage the re-using of catheters.

Why did Medicare change its policy?
    Money is a major issue – some studies show the re-use of catheters was increasing Medicare costs because of the higher risk for Urinary Tract Infections increases hospital visits, pain & suffering caused by the infections, and disrupts the quality of life for patients.

Here are the facts:
    * Most catheters are designed for single-use only, as labeled on their packaging.
    * The FDA and the Veterans Administration both agreed that sterile catheters are designed for single-use only.
    * The old Medicare policy encouraged the re-use of catheters.
    * Re-using catheters can put you at risk for Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)
    * Under the new Medicare policy changes, you can now qualify to receive up to 200 catheters per month.
    * 200 catheters per month means up to 6 catheters per day without re-using a single catheter.

It has taken a long time to get the word out.

All the best,
    GJ