Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axles

Axles

Hey Everyone!

I need some advice. I have never had this problem before, so I am not sure if it is something I can adjust myself or if I need to take it into my DME shop. Hate to do that because they charge a min labor of 1 hour.

Let me try to explain this as best and clear as possible. I have a TiLite ZRA with quick release axles. Spinergy Tires and rims. High pressure tubes. Recently when I put my tires on after getting out of the car. The axles don't fit as "snug" as before. Meaning when I check to make sure they are locked in. They have some "play" in them and will move back and forth just a little so to speak. I can jiggle the wheel and it slides a little from the base on my chair. Not presenting much of a problem truly, just has me a bit concerned because until recently they fit really "snug" I was reading my manual and there is a bolt on the axle itself that I guess you can adjust somewhat to make the tire sit closer to the slot the axle goes into--but it suggests not to adjust this yourself or you could have your wheels come off and cause a safety issue. Hope I explained that where everyone could understand what I am asking! Any help would be great, thanks!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    try to tighten the nut on axles a little. my spinergy wheels always seem to have a little play in them though.

Take the axle completely out of the wheel. You will see two flat spots on one end of the axle and a nut on the other end. With two wrenches, move the nut closer in to take up some of the extra space.

Agreed.

After you tighten the nut, MAKE SURE THE AXLE ENGAGES. You should not be able to pull the wheel back out. If you shorten it up too much, it may not engage.

And make sure that your wheels will fit on both sides of your chair. For some reason my hubs or axle sleeves are slightly different lengths so if I really tighten them up the right wheel won't fit on the left side of the chair and vice versa.

Unless you somehow put your wheels on the same sides of your chair all the time.

Thanks everyone!
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Its a 7/16 and 3/4 wrenches. You can use adjustable wrenches, but not pliers.
    I have the same thing as Brian. Have to put mine on the proper sides.

I had an Eagle wheelchair before my Tilite TR and the guy at Eagle gave me an axel tool and a multi size hex wrench when I got my chair. I use it on my Tilite axels when they need adjusting.
    The pics below show the tools and an axel off of my old Eagle chair.

SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

With two wrenches can be done too.

Adjusted them this morning, still engage and no play. Still a nice smooth roll. Hopefully, they do not get loose again for a while. I got grease all over myself! LOL
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.