Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chair Order Time Frame

New Chair Order Time Frame

I'm wondering how long it takes others to get a new chair from their Mobility Dealer?

I'm getting a Tilite - fitted on June 5th. The dealer is still processing the pieces/parts of the chair, (individually), through our insurance. It's been 6 weeks and as of yesterday, not a hint of when it will be ordered, or delivered. In took around 4 months to get my power chair.

Is this the norm?

Thanks... T
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

probably normal. Was anything denied? That can slow things, reapplying for denied portions.

I was quoted one month for the dme to put together the request and get the appropriate dr signatures and explanations of medical need. Then one month for the insurance company to approve or deny. Then one month for manufacture by the company. So it sounds like you're right in the middle of the timeline with insurance approval.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I'm at three months, almost to the date, and I'm at the step of placing the order.

I'm waiting for the order form from the DME so I can confirm everything they say they're ordering before I give the go ahead. I'm quite f-n frustrated with this company.

On the plus side, I won't be paying too much out of pocket. Maybe 500 for a ZR2, jay2 cushion, and j3 back. I'm on my own for Spinergy's., though.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

My experience has been 4-6 weeks, but I've never ordered through a DME, which I imagine must add a fair amount of overhead.

If you live in Holland, estimate about 6 months from the start of procedures to delivery.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

It sounds like my mobility guy is on track for the US. Elarson, I'm sorry you have to wait so long, wow! Makes me grateful.

I always call my insurance ahead and they make it sound do simple. "We have your records, have the DME co. call and we'll approve it, part by part, over the phone." They say this even after I tell them the DME wants to summit a ton of paper work. The DME guy can't fathom this and doesn't take the time to call my insurance. Hence, my question.

But, in the defense of the DME co, they are very caring, super nice people, extremely busy, and a lot of their clients need chairs worse than I, so I don't breath down their necks... I just call every three weeks and check the status...

Thanks again, your answers helped a lot! Have a great weekend!
    T
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Ordering through Sportaid, I got my chair in about 5 weeks. My chair is a low lead-time model, though, and I kept on top of Sportaid and Colours once a week. I also live 50 miles from Colours, so picking it up rather than having them ship it to Sportaid to ship it to me helped too.

Maybe Tilite could give you a clue about estimated wait time? Any wait time is always too long when a pretty new chair is coming, isn't it?

chaiale, tilite doesn't even have her order yet. Yours was fast because you self paid through sportaid and your only wait was the manufacture time from colours. Charlotte's order hasn't even been sent to tilite yet as the insurance approval isn't done. This has to be done first so in the case of denial any changes can be made to the order.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Ah, misread where she was in the process; thought Tilite had gotten her order.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    I always call my insurance ahead and they make it sound do simple. "We have your records, have the DME co. call and we'll approve it, part by part, over the phone." They say this even after I tell them the DME wants to summit a ton of paper work. The DME guy can't fathom this and doesn't take the time to call my insurance. Hence, my question.
    Your DME guys can't fathom it because he's dealt with em before and knows it's not really as simple as calling up the insurance and going over each item. If it was just a plain jane manual chair then maybe so.

However to me if a DME orders these types of chairs often then they should already be pretty adept at writing up letter of necessities which is where most of the paper work they have to do comes in.
    Most everything I say is