Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone used Second Step Gait Harness System?

Have a look at their website (link in my first post) for the exact price, but I think I was looking at 6,000+ US$ after a discount and before shipping.

A proper use of a gait belt is to give an assistant a "handle" to hold for helping to steady balance, not for lifting. Does he walk with another person holding him? It certainly is safer than someone holding him by the arm (which I have seen result in rotator cuff tears in a fall). They are easy to find from catalogs such as Patterson (Sammon Preston).

You may have to experiment with different types of walkers (get a used one or two) to see which type will be fill with water when submerged. Parallel bars that are semi-portable can also be placed inside a poor, and many people make their own out of plumbing pipe and a wooden or plastic base.

(KLD)

I agree that a pool is an excellent alternative to walking with the various body weight assistance devices. Talk with his current therapist about options for doing this (is there a pool in your rehab hospital?, and if any options exist for doing this with the guidance of a therapist, or even by hiring a private trainer at a private pool?).

The hardest part of a pool is getting in/out safely. Some pools have lifts, other have stairs, and some people have strong upper body strength and can safely get themselves in/out.

But you can't fall and hurt yourself in a pool!

The best thing about the type of body weight device he is using now is that other therapists can reach in and "help" his legs. However, these are not very comfortable and require a lot of assistance to use. As he gets more independent, he should look for a rehab place or a gym that has an AlterG treadmill machine.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=177218

http://www.alter-g.com/

My father is going to a private rehab clinic now that has one of these and they are really excellent. They are safe - you can't fall. But they are hard to use before you are able to take many steps on your own. However, they have also designed a model where therapists can reach in and help your legs. I haven't seen one though.

They are expensive, but one person in our city has bought one for his own personal use. He is a quad. They are becoming more popular in the US and can be found in many rehab clinics and private gyms. But it is harder to find an experienced trainer who has used them in patients with spinal cord injury.