Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone used Second Step Gait Harness System?

anyone used Second Step Gait Harness System?

I am contemplating buying a Gait Harness System for my son. He suffered a C5 injury almost three years ago and has slowly regained some function, including leg movement. He has been practising walking for several months with the aid of a mobile hoist fitted with a special sling (see video below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtcIpos6W8s

As you can see, his weight is partially supported from above. The next step would seem to be a walker, which would have him bearing more of his own weight. Our biggest concern is the risk of falling. In order to avoid this, we have thought of buying the Gait Harness System ( www.secondstepinc.com ) which looks like a safe solution. This is a very expensive piece of equipment and because of where we live we have no possibility of seeing it or trying it out before we buy it. The company also does not accept returns. I was wondering if anyone on the forums has used the Gait Harness System and if you can tell us your impressions. Is it comfortable for the user? Easy / difficult to transfer into? What about transporting it? Any information or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Try using your mobile hoist with slack in his harness. Walk with him advancing the hoist for him to make sure he stays under the hoist.

Thanks nrf. We do try to have him bearing as much weight as possible by lowering the arm of the hoist. Can you tell me why keeping him under the hoist, rather than letting him walk in front of it, is better?

Blog Entries
    If he does fall you don't want the hoist to fall over with him. If he gets too far out from under the point of attachment then pulling the hoist over if he falls is likely.

Thanks nrf. That makes sense.

Blog Entries
    We use a ceiling lift as a safety when using a walker. Do you have one available anywhere? Where are you located? Have you thought about Shriners as an option for your son?

Is he able to get into a pool that can be used for walking in the pool? This is an excellent way to increase strength and endurance with the bouyancy of the pool helping with both, and reducing fall risk to just about zero (as long as he has someone with him).

One with parallel bars is ideal, but a regular walker can be used (after letting it fill with water) too.

(KLD)

Thank you for your replies, everyone. NRF, we are in Hong Kong. KLD, my son does have access to a pool -- not a hydrotherapy pool, just a recreational / lap pool. He does use it but had never thought of using a walker in it. I'm not very familiar with the types of walkers that exist -- seems you are talking about one made of hollow tubes? Sounds like a great idea. The shallow end of the pool is 1 meter or about 3 feet deep and my son is 6 feet tall -- probably shallower would be better but we could try. Very excited about this -- any advice on what type of walker to get for the pool would be appreciated.

Gait belts?

Was wondering if any of you knew anything about gait belts. I saw them being used at the rehab hospital my son attended a couple of years ago but at that time he was only taking a few steps while suspended from a ceiling hoist, so not at all a candidate for using them. Would a gait belt be useful either for his overground walking with the hoist (see video link posted above to see how he does it) or in the pool?

What does something like the gait harness system run Mamadavid? We have a Rifton gait walker but its not big enough for hubby, it wants to tip on him.