Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: most comfortable mattress?

most comfortable mattress?

I have been researching a new mattress. I fell thru a roof in September 2011 T11-T12 incomplete & fractured pelvis our once comfy mattress now hurts me & needs replaced and thought who better to ask I have always gotten great advice here so lets here your thoughts and suggestions thanks in advance

In my travels this year have slept on alot of different matresses. I would recommend finding a hotel with "sleep number" beds and staying a night, if it's in your budget. This would give you the best idea if one feels right after a full nights sleep. Even try some others at newer hotels.. hell, check-in in the afternoon and have a nap and then make an excuse to leave hopefully getting some money back. Also, aren't there some of those Tempurpedic ads that promise a 30/60 day trial?

Maaybe ask to have a nap in a friends/relatives house. Start a house-sitting service and sleep in their bed. lol...

How is Tempurpedic maybe a mattress that would be even better to prevent pressure sores

I've never heard anyone say a bad word about air mattresses, especially the low air-loss kind. Wish I had one. I spent a fortune on a Tempurpedic several years ago and it's comfortable, but has a boggy texture that I have never fully gotten used to - and it weighs a ton. Most of the better mattress companies will give you a trial period.

We stayed at a Hilton in Billings.Mt loved the mattress BUT the maker only makes them for Hilton Suites it was part memory part air. I have been reading tempurpedics smell like foam/chemicals for months after purchase?

I think low air loss mattresses are great if you have real problems with pressure and subsequent sores. They are expensive, insurance may cover them, insurance may not cover them.

We have Sleep Number beds and I think they are great. NL thinks they sleep hot. There are a couple of manufacturers of adjustable air bed mattresses, and I all of them offer a 30+ day trial.

The new generations of temper-foam mattresses with cool gel technology are a good deal more comfortable than original temperfoam mattresses.

Bonnette is right on the money with her suggestion that you should look for a company that will allow you a trial period. That said, remember that the offer will be, we will deliver the mattress and haul your old one away. The problem may be that now that your old one is hauled away, what will you do, it you decide you don't like the mattress you have on trial and your old mattress is gone. Just keep that in mind and have alternatives in mind.

There has been quite a bit written on Care Cure Community about mattresses. Try searching this site to read more posts than your thread may get.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    I have been reading tempurpedics smell like foam/chemicals for months after purchase?
    Mine didn't, but many of them do. I have had a couple of memory foam toppers that reeked and had to be returned.

Regarding that mattress you liked at the Hilton - if you don't mind the hassle involved, you can call the hotel and ask them to tell you the name and model number of the mattress in the room you stayed in. Then call the mattress company and ask them which one of their commercial mattresses comes closest to it. We did this with a Sealy at one time, and it was a great purchase (but it didn't last long, as it was an innerspring mattress).

I sleep on a Tempurpedic. Its supportive firmness is very comfortable for me, but it hurts my wife. She has a much softer memory foam bed made by Relax-the-Back. Hers is too soft for me. They are both very heavy and awkward to move (they fold when you lift them). We have to keep our room temp cool or the beds make us sweat.

Eons ago, we had a traditional water bed; then we switched to an independent (2-sided) sleep number imitator (but my wife could never get her side comfortable); we finally ended up (after my disability hit) with memory foam beds.

Before we bought the memory foam mattresses, we did a lot of napping in bedding stores. It takes a minimum of 15-20 mins of laying on a mattress to begin to get an idea of what it'll be like.

My mattresses was a store demo, so it had been aired out - no smell. My wife's was new; it took about a week to air out - but the odor was never real bad.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    I have been researching a new mattress. I fell thru a roof in September 2011 T11-T12 incomplete & fractured pelvis our once comfy mattress now hurts me & needs replaced and thought who better to ask I have always gotten great advice here so lets here your thoughts and suggestions thanks in advance
    Hi I sleep on an alternating pressure/low air loss mattress. It has a pump that keeps inflated and I have mine set on 5 so every five minutes the mattress moves under me to do pressure relief and also it whisks moisture away from my body. Mine is made by HILL-ROM
    It's called Snergy Low Air Loss/Alternating Pressure Mattress

I like the KCI atmosair 9000.
    Had tempur, it's comfy but very hot. Also sags quickly in the middle.