Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sacral sitting when in wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Sacral sitting can also be due to insufficient lumbar support. You may need some modification of your chair back, or even a custom back. It can sometimes occur in those who have lost hip ROM due to HO or contracture too. Do you do good hip ROM and stretching daily?

Sacral sitting can significantly increase your risks for coccyx and sacrum pressure ulcers.

Roho cushions are used a lot due to 1) excellent marketing strategy, 2) giving low seating pressures for many, but they do have the problem that for most they do not promote or aid posture issues. Specialty Roho cushions like the Quatro, etc. do a better job of this, but stability can be an issue on pretty much all of their cushions. Many are willing to trade off lack of stability for low pressures and pressure ulcer risk.

I agree that a seating (not just a cushion) re-evaluation by an experienced therapist appears to be indicated.

(KLD)
    My hip rom is fine and I know I need a evaluation just trying to find the right place to go. An "experienced therapist" is a lot harder to find than one may think.

Where in IL are you? If you are close to Chicago, I would strongly recommend going to RIC.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Where in IL are you? If you are close to Chicago, I would strongly recommend going to RIC.

(KLD)

I was an inpatient at RIC and I've went there for outpatient therapy. Dr Chen is still my spinal cord doctor, but their seating and positioning clinic is a joke they have no clue what they are doing.