Thread: Tone - new to me!

Tone - new to me!

After about 14.5 years of being injured, I've just started to have tone in my legs, mostly my right leg. In the past, the only signs of involuntary movement (as I do have some functional muscles) was twitching of my feet when my bladder was full. After I had my bladder augmented, that stopped, but I started having occasional hamstring twitches or feet twitches when I was sitting in an uncomfortable position (so I didn't mind, as I could use it as a clue to move out of that position).

However, this is causing problems - I'm uncomfortable all the time because my leg is stiff, and my knee is currently not wanting to straighten (it's also causing some twisting problems - lower leg one way, upper leg the other). My right ankle has also stiffened up because of it. We're working on getting things loosened up and straightened out so that I can use the standing frame more frequently.

I'm annoyed at the tone, and working on dealing with it (I have a very creative PT), but I'm wondering if I should actually be concerned about it. Does this might signify more serious problems? I'll be seeing my physiatrist in a few weeks, but I thought I'd check here in case there are specific things I should ask him about or mention to him.

Also - is there anything I should read so I can understand what's going on, or how to better handle it?

Not at the moment, but that's a good thing to remember. This has been coming on for a few months now.

Increased tone can be a sign of an infection or other process going on below the level of injury. Do you have any skin problems? Urinary tract problems? Signs of a clot? Any other infectious process? Even a respiratory infection can be noticed. Any signs of a musculoskeletal problem, such as a broken bone? Heterotopic ossification?

My recommendation is to get in touch with your SCI physician. It could be nothing, but it is better to have it checked out. In the meantime, I would continue with your PT, but cautiously.

CKF

Nothing else seems to be amiss right now, other than this (and the twisting it's causing). Of course my doc will run tests and hopefully figure something out.

Can I do anything for the pain? Acupuncture? I'm gently stretching and resting a lot, but I keep getting these horrible crampy feelings. Ball of foot, IT band, mid calf... Advil doesn't touch it, I'm going to try some Icy Hot type stuff in a bit.

I would talk to your doc. There are some things he/ she can prescribe to make you more comfortable.
    CKF