Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Help Needed

Tire Help Needed

Hello,

I have recently switched from solid tires to air ones and i LOVE them however I am having a lot of trouble with flats. I replace the blown tube fill it up and within a day or two the tube explodes. what is the reason and how can i stop it.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    most likely something with the rim. Did you use a "good" rim tape before installin the tube? Other thing would be a pinched tube.

Well i didnt use rim tape...what is a good type to use???? also how often should i be checking the air pressure? they seem to be leaking some air is this normal?

My suggestion is to go to a local bike shop if you have one near you and ask them for their best quality rim tape. Rim tape is a must, especially if you have high pressure tires. Also, if they are high pressure, I would check the pressure weekly to keep them running optimally. If they are 80psi tires or lower, you may be able to get away with monthly checks.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    Well i didnt use rim tape...what is a good type to use???? also how often should i be checking the air pressure? they seem to be leaking some air is this normal?
    tape will depend on rim you are using, if you had solid tires, probably didn't have any rim tape. Do what SCI said and I also ckeck pressure weekly.

When I setup a new wheelset this spring I had the same issue. Next flat take the tire and tube completely off the rim. Then find the puncture in the tube, I just inflate it with the compressor to make it obvious where the air is rushing out. Then orientate it on to the rim and find out why the tube is getting punctured or pinched at that area.

I used incredibly cheap rim strips (big rubber bands) that weren't wide enough for my rims. Instead of rushing out and buying good ones (which is probably better) I just gave the inside of the rim a layer of electrical tape to hold the cheap rubber bands in place over the spoke and handrim holes. A little baby powder to allow the tube to slide around during installation helps too.

they seem to be leaking some air is this normal?
    If you have regular pinch style brakes on your chair then the more you pinch against the tire it seems that a little air gets pushed out everytime. Seems inconceivable, I know. I have hub locks and still do my tire pressure at least once a week (although I'm a little ocd about it). Usual air loss is 20-30 psi per week.

what is the best type of rim tape?

This has happened to me, the suggestion of rim tape is great. Also periodically check the bolts on your hand rims and tighter them. When I was getting flats even with rim tape is because one of the bolts/screws on my hand rim was loose and puncturing my tube.

what is the best type of rim tape?
    You don`t need the best, just a rim tape, if you have been with solid tires, probably your rims was without them and when you change to air you did it without putting a rims strip.
    Even 2 or 3 turns with an insulating tape could work perfectly like a rim tape.
    I did it with my Dinos because Erick forgot put the rim tape and i never have had a problem about flats.