Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird Gas Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    Thanks for your comment regarding drugs. My blood pressure is usually below 60/40 when I first get up. I have tried a variety of drugs, including those you mentioned. Dexedrine should be administered carefully because of its addictive quality. I have taken one 5mg extended release capsule per day for about 20 years without the need or craving to increase the dosage. I have also researched the long term effects of a lengthy usage and the reports state the effect is less than caffeinated coffee.

I would like to eliminate hydrocodone from my system, especially because of all the toxic Tylenol. So far, nothing but opiates stop the sweating and pain. I will ask about the nitro paste.

Thanks again.
    Have you tried lidocaine inserted in the rectal vault several minutes before inserting a suppository or doing digital stimulation. Enemeez Plus is formulated with lidocaine to help curtain autonomic symptoms that occur while doing bowel programs.

Here are some other medications for autonomic dysreflexia, acute and chronic:
    * Immediate/emergent
    o Procardia - 10 mg. p.o./sublingual
    o Nitroglycerine - 1/150 sublingual or 1/2 inch Nitropaste topically
    o Clonidine - 0.1 to 0.2 mg. p.o.
    o Hydralazine - 10 to 20 mg. IM/IV
    * Chronic (recurrent episode prevention)
    o Prazosin ("Minipress") - 0.5 to 1.0 mg. daily
    o Clonidine ("Catapres") - 0.2 mg. p.o. b.i.d.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Have you tried lidocaine inserted in the rectal vault several minutes before inserting a suppository or doing digital stimulation. Enemeez Plus is formulated with lidocaine to help curtain autonomic symptoms that occur while doing bowel programs.

Here are some other medications for autonomic dysreflexia, acute and chronic:
    * Immediate/emergent
    o Procardia - 10 mg. p.o./sublingual
    o Nitroglycerine - 1/150 sublingual or 1/2 inch Nitropaste topically
    o Clonidine - 0.1 to 0.2 mg. p.o.
    o Hydralazine - 10 to 20 mg. IM/IV
    * Chronic (recurrent episode prevention)
    o Prazosin ("Minipress") - 0.5 to 1.0 mg. daily
    o Clonidine ("Catapres") - 0.2 mg. p.o. b.i.d.

All the best,
    GJ
    The lidocaune doesn't make any difference. Here was an interesting thread about it on CC. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=22905
    " Cosman, et al. (2002). Topical lidocaine does not limit autonomic dysreflexia during anorectal procedures in spinal cord injury: a prospective, double-blind study."

I'll take this list of drugs for my doctor to review for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    The lidocaune doesn't make any difference. Here was an interesting thread about it on CC. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=22905
    " Cosman, et al. (2002). Topical lidocaine does not limit autonomic dysreflexia during anorectal procedures in spinal cord injury: a prospective, double-blind study."

I'll take this list of drugs for my doctor to review for me.

Occasionally I get AD during bowel care and if I use lidocaine it stops immediately. What I started doing is using the lidocaine when my nurse inserts the suppository. That seems to take care of it from the get go. Good luck!
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 05-25-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: na

About six weeks have passed since I first posted the weird gas problem. Hopefully, I may be getting closer to the cause. I visited a doctor that specializes in spinal cord injury. His initial diagnosis that is now being confirmed with x-rays is that I may have a hiatal hernia that is making my esophagus sphincter dysfunctional and allowing the gas to be forced out my upper GI.

In regards to the stomach distention and feeling full of gas, he suggested that I may have a megacolon, a large dilated colon that is common in longer-term spinal cord injuries. I've been injured 30 years.

I'm still waiting for him to review the x-rays; however, since I am in a great deal of discomfort with the difficulty in exhaling and swallowing and with my eight month distended ' pregnant looking' hard belly, I am very anxious to know what is going on with me.

I researched megacolon and discovered that it has to do with constipation. I do not suffer with constipation though. In an unrelated urodynamic x-ray last week, the technician showed me how large my colon was. Instead of stool, it was still with gas.

In my research for hiatal hernia, I didn't recognize having any of those symptoms either. I have no reflux or acid problems. Only difficulty exhaling and swallowing and a constant belching. Often, I choke on the air that is being forced up my G.I. when I'm trying to swallow.

I feel like I have a very tight band around my stomach that must be gas. The pain is focused on the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. The gas in my belly seems to enervate spasms in my legs. They are so strong, I lose my balance in my wheelchair.

I do not have any pain during my bowel program. The pain starts when the evacuation completes. At that time, blood and mucus follow the stool. I feel my belly swell up with air and am in great discomfort.

When I empty my bladder or my bowel, I feel gas expanding in my abdomen area and great amounts of gas are forced out to my upper G.I. resulting in never-ending belching. My urologist witnessed this gas after my urodynamic test. His explanation was that the bowel has a reflex similar to autonomic dysreflexia causing this upper G.I. activity.

I am in so much pain today, have a very bloated stomach, and feel very tired from not being able to sleep at night because of the pain. I hesitate to take opiates, vicodan, because I don't want to make my bowels sluggish. But I know of nothing else that will stop the dysreflexia sweating and pain. But I have used opiates for maybe 20 years with very few bouts of constipation.

Can mega colon be caused by gas?

What can be done to relieve the problem?
    Last edited by Broken Doll; 07-01-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: misspelling

Obstructive megacolon in SCI is not just caused by constipation. It is also associated with long term use of laxatives and stimulants for bowel management. It is caused by the colon trying to move stool out against a closed (spastic) anal sphincter when it is full. This fullness could be stool, or gas, but the ultimate results is a flabby, low muscle tone colon with it becoming more and more difficult to move stool through the gut.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Obstructive megacolon in SCI is not just caused by constipation. It is also associated with long term use of laxatives and stimulants for bowel management. It is caused by the colon trying to move stool out against a closed (spastic) anal sphincter when it is full. This fullness could be stool, or gas, but the ultimate results is a flabby, low muscle tone colon with it becoming more and more difficult to move stool through the gut.

(KLD)
    So what are the solutions in treating a megacolon? Can it be reversed by better diet or anything?

Or is it more severe like requiring cutting out the flabby colon or getting a colostomy to empty the bowel?

You can try using stronger and stronger stimulants and laxatives, but this risks accidents, and generally will only buy you a little time. A fairly high (transfers or ascending colon) colostomy is often the best solution.

(KLD)