Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More spring flowers

More spring flowers

These are fuchsias from my yard...Enjoy!

(KLD)

Oh, those are incredible! Such beauty.

Oh my! Thanks for taking the time to add beauty to our days!

Those are gorgeous ! On my list of favorites when I lived in Monterey.

Those are lovely! Thank you for sharing them!

Absolutely beautiful! This would be a nice addition to our screened pouch! I've sworn off Boston ferns - too messy! How do the Fuchsias' fair inside during winter?

I also like your fern (?) growing on wood (?). I saw these and something fuller with a coconut looking root ball around the coast of CT. They're cool looking! Not sure if I could find these in TN.

Thanks for posting!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Fuchsias won't tolerate freezing, nor really hot summers. Most who grow them in colder areas (such as England) grow them as annuals, if unable to move them into a heated green house for the winter. This is why they are most popular in areas of the USA West Coast, Australia and New Zealand that have mild summers and temperate winters. They also require well drained but moist soil, frequent feeding, and proper pruning if you are going to have them more than one year. Fuchsia mite has decimated many public and private plantings of fuchsias in the last 20 years. Spraying may help some with control, but it is better to plant only those varieties that are mite resistant.

If you can't find them in your local nursery, you may want to use a mail order (on-line) nursery that specializes in them. I order mine through one in Washington state.

The ferns are stag horn ferns. Very popular in this area, easy to grow, and come in a lot of different varieties. Again, they will not tolerate freezing, but can take more heat than fuchsias.

(KLD)

Very beautiful I am jelious we are still 2 months away from fuchsia's blooming here,, our lillacs are JUST opening in our yard, Tulips are also blooming

The nurseries in southern Colorado have glorious fuchsias in hanging baskets every spring, but they don't do well outside the greenhouse. I love them and wish we had better luck with them - our summers are much too hot and dry, especially in recent years. So I really enjoy seeing pictures of thriving fuchsias!

Thanks for the information, KLD! We have an exotic nursery near by. I'll see what the "Ladies" think about Fuchsias surviving our hot, humid summers. I'll make sure we're talking mite resistant Fuchsias... ick! I'll also check for the Stag Horn Ferns - thanks for the name.

In the meantime, I just come here and enjoy your beautiful Fuchsias!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Fuchsias won't tolerate freezing, nor really hot summers. Most who grow them in colder areas (such as England) grow them as annuals, if unable to move them into a heated green house for the winter. This is why they are most popular in areas of the USA West Coast, Australia and New Zealand that have mild summers and temperate winters. They also require well drained but moist soil, frequent feeding, and proper pruning if you are going to have them more than one year. Fuchsia mite has decimated many public and private plantings of fuchsias in the last 20 years. Spraying may help some with control, but it is better to plant only those varieties that are mite resistant.

If you can't find them in your local nursery, you may want to use a mail order (on-line) nursery that specializes in them. I order mine through one in Washington state.

The ferns are stag horn ferns. Very popular in this area, easy to grow, and come in a lot of different varieties. Again, they will not tolerate freezing, but can take more heat than fuchsias.

(KLD)
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson