Thread: My TBI story and progress 3 years later

Thumbs up My TBI story and progress 3 years later

Just stumbled upon this forum. I thought I would share my TBI story and my very recent discovery by my doctor realized I wasn't totally out of the woods like he had previously thought.

Long story short, I was in a serious snowboarding accident in the early spring of 2009. I am still not 100% sure what happened, but I went off a cliff (purposely), but ended up snagging the front of my board right as going over (almost as in tripping forward off a small cliff). This catapulted my body into a giant bolder of ice knocking me out cold.

I woke up the next day in the hospital. I suffered a fractured skull in three places (two in front of the frontal lobe, one near the occipital). There was brain fluid leakage coming through my nose as well as air in my brain. In retrospect, it was a miracle in itself that I did not get an infection, something that easy to get with open passages to your brain and cause a terrible outcome - my doctor has personally seen an infection destroy a person in the same situation as myself.

Fast forward to now, 2012, I finally ended up getting a complete neuropsych evaluation - something I have put off for 3 years. I suppose it's kind of funny/sad at the same time that the part of my brain that seems to have suffered the biggest hit is memory because in the past 3 years I have said countless times the phrase and variations of, "I forgot" countless times, only to be labeled as a person that makes up excuses.

I can't change what happened, but I was one of the lucky ones. I've been told countless times how lucky I am not only to be alive (did I mention I was wearing a helmet and still did all this damage?), but also to have no longstanding physical problems that have not already healed (a few fractured disks in my back, another injury due to the accident, seems so much less important when the skull is involved). I'm not sure who is up there, but someone was looking down on me.

With that being said, I cannot only understand how it feels to have a brain injury, but also the effects on a family. From the terror when my folks first heard I was being medevac’d to the next state over because of the more advanced trauma center to the unending support I got and continue to receive every day. It's an event that forever changes a your life.

That’s my story. Hopefully this wasn’t too long. I may be able to chime in later with a spinal cord injury related post having to do with the same accident. I just had a MRI on my lumbar yesterday and waiting to hear results.

Welcome to CareCure! Thank you for sharing your story.

(KLD)

Thank you for sharing Jhintz1. Brain injury of any kind is very challenging, and those who make it through as well as you have are fighters!

I think you are doing great that you made it through everything and also recognize the impact for yourself and others who help you. You sound like a very compassionate person.

Although it's an event that forever changes your life, and those who care about you, it can also be very fulfilling. Anybody who really cares will not mind if you have some memory loss -- it's not an excuse, and shame on anyone who says it is.

It sounds like you are coping quite well. Keep up the great spirit. I have no doubt that you will conquer the next phase of the SCI related injuries.

I wish you and your family all of my best.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Yes, thanks for sharing your experience with us, Jhintz1! It's good to share your experiences with others as holding everything in can be self-damaging. So I thank you for that. I was scrolling through the forum threads and this topic caught my eye because while serving in the military I have had several close friends experience TBI mostly from IED's while serving in Iraq. It sounds like what you're going through is pretty typical among the community. I just wanted to encourage you and thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Badge View Post
    Yes, thanks for sharing your experience with us, Jhintz1! It's good to share your experiences with others as holding everything in can be self-damaging. So I thank you for that. I was scrolling through the forum threads and this topic caught my eye because while serving in the military I have had several close friends experience TBI mostly from IED's while serving in Iraq. It sounds like what you're going through is pretty typical among the community. I just wanted to encourage you and thank you for sharing.
    This person has not visited our forums since June, 2012, so is unlikely to see your message. Sorry.

(KLD)