Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stool Softeners / Laxatives?

Has anyone used the herb Cascara Sagrada, or sacred bark? Are any other herb that worked good instead of colace?

Are there any herbs that soften stool that you can use indefinately?

Cascara is a stimulant, not a stool softener (see my post above). Virtually all herbs used for constipation are stimulants.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    Thanks, but I know I'm absorbing some I've had loose stools from taking too much. I buy my vitamins at Vitacost. I will try the ones you showed me but you can get them att Vitacost ALOT cheaper. At your site they're $10.79 & at Vitacost same amount same strength same brand they're $6.56 almost half price. But thanks for showing me capsules! Btw it's not nice to talk about a ladies' age! ha!
    Useful information --
    http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...eory-of-aging/

Cascara was used in hospitals back in the 1950s when I was injured. They made it into a vicious laxative with a licorice flavor. They should have put a skull and crossbones on it. Surviving a dose of that was as much of a challenge as my SCI.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say as people age their digestive system doesn't. I was saying it's NOT NICE to tell ladies they're aging, older.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Cascara is a stimulant, not a stool softener (see my post above). Virtually all herbs used for constipation are stimulants.

(KLD)
    How about Aloe Vera? Thanks KLD!

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Cascara was used in hospitals back in the 1950s when I was injured. They made it into a vicious laxative with a licorice flavor. They should have put a skull and crossbones on it. Surviving a dose of that was as much of a challenge as my SCI.
    Oh my sounds horrible. Luckily it's in pill form now.

Magic bullets $5

Where do you buy Magic Bullets for $5? I think I'm spending $60.00 for a 3-month supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    Thanks! I wouldn't take Senna or any type like it. I think it messes your system up. I can"t go to Costco but I'll find them cheap somewhere. Now I find out my Medicaid won't pay for Enemeez. Julia said they have a hardship program I can apply to & get them half price. But I don't even want to pay half price $48. I can get a month's worth of Magic Bullets for $5. So I'm not sure what I'll do.

I'm concerned about 'accidents' or stomach discomfort from taking stool softeners. How much Colace should I start with?

i have tried fiber products like flax seed, acacia and Fiber One tablets. All have made my belly swell up and increase my need to have BMs.

I'm experimenting with Activia yogurt right now. I've never found anything quite like it for having a good BM. However, the quantity of stool that comes out is mind boggling. I can't figure out how or where it could all come from. i think it stretches out my intestines causing me to have autonomic dysreflexia. I only eat one container now, late at night before my morning suppository.

I want to stay on an every other day routine because it takes so much time and effort. If I don't eat a lot of fiber, I quickly back up. If Colace could be the answer, my life could be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

Stools softeners need to be used preventively, not after the fact (after the stool is already hard). They work by keeping your body from absorbing as much water from the stool, therefore keeping it soft. The most available, and effective, is DSS (brand name Colace). You can take up to 1000 mg. daily of Colace, and like some other softerners (such as Surfax) it will not interfere with absorbtion of your other medications.

Bulk or fiber products (Metamucil or psyllium, wheat bran, flax seed powder, etc.) help keep stool soft by increasing the rate of peristalsis, which decreases the chance for your stool to get dried out since it moves more quickly through the gut. They must be taken with plenty of water.

Stimulants (senna, cascera, prunes, etc.) can help keep stool soft because they increase peristalsis of the entire gut, so that stool moves through faster and your body does not have as much time to absorb the water, but routine use can have some ill effects, so should be used only if the measures above are ineffective.

(KLD)

Softeners like Colace are unlikely to cause accidents (unlike laxatives and stimulants) because they do not increase peristalsis.

If you take too much, and the stool is way too soft, then accidents are possible, esp. if you have a LMN (lower motor neuron or flaccid anal sphincter). Softeners should not be taken "as needed" but routinely (unlike stimulants and laxatives). If you wait until your stool is hard before taking them, it will be just that much longer before you get a good consistency stool.

(KLD)