Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions On How I Could Reach The Shower

Suggestions On How I Could Reach The Shower

We just moved and we have this stupid long sink in our bathroom and the toliet right across. It might look like it from the pic but I can't get my wheelchair on the side of the tub to transfer onto the bench. Any suggestions of what I could do besides the obvious like getting a smaller sink , I plan on doing that but need something I can do until then....
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 05-19-2012 at 01:31 AM.

One time at a boyfriend's inaccessible house (split level with small bathroom) .. I transferred to an office chair he had and he pushed me to the throne and held the chair for me each time I transferred (no brakes!) Is that possible?

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're young, healthy and strong .. like I was then.

It's a crappy solution for each time you need to shower .. but if it's only temporary?

Other than that, held-held shower with long cord ... shower on the throne. Clean the water up from the floor afterwards. (Too bad there wasn't a drain in the middle of the floor as some bathrooms have).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    One time at a boyfriend's inaccessible house (split level with small bathroom) .. I transferred to an office chair he had and he pushed me to the throne and held the chair for me each time I transferred (no brakes!) Is that possible?

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're young, healthy and strong .. like I was then.

It's a crappy solution for each time you need to shower .. but if it's only temporary?

Other than that, held-held shower with long cord ... shower on the throne. Clean the water up from the floor afterwards. (Too bad there wasn't a drain in the middle of the floor as some bathrooms have).
    Wow you must have read my mind I was just saying to my mom I wish there was a drain in the middle of the floor lol. For right now I've been either having someone carry me and set me on the bench or I put down a bunch of chucks on the floor and use the sink and a cup to bathe from my wheelchair. I was also thinking of transferring onto the toliet and then the bench. But I have little trunk control and there's nothing for me to hold on to to transfer to the toliet. I'm going to see though.

You can buy transport chairs for incredibly low prices (I believe around 100.00). These have all 4 small wheels. You could probably pass between toilet and counter top due to reduced width. In bathroom objects are close enough to push off walls, counters, etc. to propel yourself. If you want to get into transport chair right from bed you could buy a set of cheap hiking poles to propel chair to bathroom independently.

Back in the day when I was injured (early 70's) we all used 50-60 lb E & J wheelchairs w big clunky, upholstered armrests. These chairs were folders of course. As an option, E & J sold a device called a Narrowmatic. You screwed a base w a slot in it to a seat screw already in place. You inserted base of Narrowmatic into slot, top bracket on Narrowmatic fit over the armrest. There was a small hand crank at top. When you cranked the Narrowmatic the bace would pull up on seat narrowing or folding the chair. You could narrow the chair as much as hips would tolerate. I used this system in our low income apt. in NYC and later in a rental home in NC. It was about the only thing about the E & J chair that I liked.

Can you roll your chair to the tub straight on? I have a shower chair that hangs outside the tub just over the wall of the tub. I transfer from the WC to the shower chair at a 90 degree. I just put my legs over the tub wall scoot to the edge of my chair then transfer. I I'm a T5 so I have no core control either.
    I bought the chair on amazon for like 50 dollars.

I have a similar problem

I transfer onto the commode then to the shower bench. It's alot of transferring but it gets the job done.

I'm t1 complete also no trunk balance

I had the same problem when visiting my mom and bought a transit chair with the small wheels after measuring the distance needed. However, you need someone to push you. Not the best solution but it worked ....... good luck !!

Maybe a drop arm commode over the toilet to better aid in transferring? Use toilet, then just transfer over.

This is a great shower bench for less clutter in the bathroom - no legs sticking out of the tub:

(it's shown with the shower leg attachment, you don't have to get that though). http://www.sportaid.com/quantum-bath...mode-seat.html

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post

This is a great shower bench for less clutter in the bathroom - no legs sticking out of the tub:

(it's shown with the shower leg attachment, you don't have to get that though). http://www.sportaid.com/quantum-bath...mode-seat.html
    I can't believe they charge almost 700 dollars for what is pictured. Just for PVC pipes

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    Can you roll your chair to the tub straight on? I have a shower chair that hangs outside the tub just over the wall of the tub. I transfer from the WC to the shower chair at a 90 degree. I just put my legs over the tub wall scoot to the edge of my chair then transfer. I I'm a T5 so I have no core control either.
    I bought the chair on amazon for like 50 dollars.

Nope it doesn't fit...tried it.