Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anybody tried the Q-Grip handrim?

anybody tried the Q-Grip handrim?

http://www.out-front.com/qgrip_overview.php

Has anybody tried these yet? Im looking for some feedback. Im a C6 with decent hand function. With bare aluminum hand rims I cant go far without pushing off of the tires. I use aluminum hand rims wrapped with surgical tubing But im looking for something new.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

i had some at one time they put a bit of weight on your rims so if you put your on wheelchair in and out your car it going to make a difference also they BURN your hand if you are going down hill whit no globes other then that there OK hope this helps you

is it a rubber material like bicycle handlebar grips? do you have full hand function
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

no is not like handlebar grip is like a slick vinyl, i like the thickness of it,yes i do have full hand function i push with the tire most off the time not with the hand rim is just the big burns that you get whit hi speeds is not good

i just had these installed on 25" (559) spinergy spox wheels with schwalbe marathon plus tires. in 27 years i've never had anything better to push with. the rims provide incredibly efficient power transfer. i'm also C6 but with very little hand function. i found i can push much farther and climb steeper inclines. i am using gloves - i can see how the high grip could be a problem with "burns"

the material reminds me of Dysem. it's grippy laterally, but not "sticky" if you just touch it.

these are a huge improvement (performance wise) over the standard vinyl coated rims.
    i typically wear out the grip on the standard vinyl after about 1 year.

i hope q-grips are durable (they appear to be) - they were a bit pricy.

will provide some long-term feedback down the road. but for now i have to say they are quite awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    i just had these installed on 25" (559) spinergy spox wheels with schwalbe marathon plus tires. in 27 years i've never had anything better to push with. the rims provide incredibly efficient power transfer. i'm also C6 but with very little hand function. i found i can push much farther and climb steeper inclines. i am using gloves - i can see how the high grip could be a problem with "burns"

the material reminds me of Dysem. it's grippy laterally, but not "sticky" if you just touch it.

these are a huge improvement (performance wise) over the standard vinyl coated rims.
    i typically wear out the grip on the standard vinyl after about 1 year.

i hope q-grips are durable (they appear to be) - they were a bit pricy.

will provide some long-term feedback down the road. but for now i have to say they are quite awesome.
    Thanks for the info!

I just received a sample from the company and I think I'm going to include them in the order for my new ZRA. The sample feels just as tacky as my foam grips but more durable.

Thank you for your review, Mike.

i got tired of the burn from coated push rims and over the years i have tried almost everything.

i dont have any finger function, no wrist flexion, no tricept or pecs to help me grip my rims so i use gloves and i coat them with Aquaseal. it gives great grip on any rim but its no good when raining.

a few years ago i had some Au rims powder coated w/ a hammer texture that is smooth but has a dimpled look and this improved my grip. its in between rubber coated and plain Au rims as far as grip but they do not form condensation in extreme temp changes and no burning when slowing down.

i also had them coated with an anti-microbial powder coat for the obvious reasons.

Nice review Mike. What kind of gloves do you use with the Q-grips?
    I (C7 with good arms but little grip) have the standard vinyl coated rims that I push with Hatch quad gloves with Topo palms. When everything is clean and dry, the grip is good but I'd like something better and would really like to not need the rubber palm gloves. My usual neighborhood ride includes one hill that gives me about 200 yards of fairly firm braking at about 10 mph. The gloves smell like burned rubber after that. My vinyl coated rims are about a year old and in bad shape. I just can't make up my mind for the replacement.

i'm just using typical cross-traing gloves from the sporting goods store. they are leather with 1/2 fingers.

i just got to try the Q grips wet. and although they aren't super grippy wet, there is still a good friction coefficient there. i'm still able to slow myself down a ramp, where a wet standard vinyl push rim would just run uncontrolled through my hand.

would also like to add i can use these without gloves (i do in the house). it's anything down-hill (or long distance) that i really require a glove.

i did manage my first nick in the coating (after a week); and it took a significant hit to do so. these things seem _really_ durable.

last i did wash them too, and like Dysem, a good cleaning seems to bring back the entire tackiness to them as they were out of the box. sponge & a little water...

don't want to sound like a salesman, but this seems to be the best grip technology i've been exposed to in 27 years.