Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where bath seats meet reality

The only problem with that is lowering and getting back out. I am having trouble with that. I want to be able to take a shower, without having to have someone help me in and out, and I figured the slats that go across the top of the tub would work. IDK

Before I moved six months ago, I had a shower where I could roll my chair into the shower and transfer to bench, and I am thinking that maybe that's where I should have stayed.

This might sound crazy, but I find it much easier to just take a bath. I feel like I can get much cleaner, too, especially the ol' under-carriage. The transfer from the chair, to the edge, to the water is as easy for me as a transfer to a shower chair, and the water really eases transfer back up, with the added buoyancy (especially if I over fill the tub just before getting out.)

It's defies conventional wisdom, and may introduce more risk if approached carelessly, and not everyone may be up for it, or capable...but as a T12 ASIA B, in fair health, I find it a really nice alternative to the roll in shower (which is, by far, the easiest and my most often used method...but when traveling I don't think twice about bathing and forgoing accessible gear or accommodation...after cleaning out the tub, of course )

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Build this

DaleB...now that you mention it that water idea makes a lot of sense, the idea that the water’s buoyancy makes it easier to transfer out is pure basic physics, why didn’t the rest of us think of that!...easier for you lower level types, but, if I didn’t have all this stuff in my tub I’d give it a shot. I’m posting these shots cuz dr.zapp said he’d like to see it. I live by myself so this stuff stays in the tub, but “walkies” don’t have much trouble lifting the chair and bench out of the tub. The seat and bench are restaurant cutting boards! with a piece of plywood at the front of the seat and all the cushion material is about 1.5in thick pieces which I bought from a local rubber products wholesaler. I’t’s easy to carve and shape with a knife, but your’e on your own about where to get it at. Sorry.... I bought mine a long time ago. I cover the seat with that red thing which is a piece of wetsuit with the inner liner facing up. This assemblage of stuff is Absolutely Solid, and is gonna outlast me easily...... cept for the rubber stuff (I have plenty more old wetsuit materiel) and the small plywood forward piece maybe.... I push the handrail between the toilet and the tub out of the way to make transferring easier, and the bench and the seat are held together with hose clamps. This is pretty basic design stuff, and once you have some good measurements the PVC corners and joints are so consistent in size that I found it easy to come up with drawings to plan my tube lengths ahead of time, and it's easy to assemble a "prototype" by just pressing the pieces together and knocking them back apart. It’s pretty strong just pressed together, remember the inside the tub floor is higher then your bathroom floor. In building these I ended up learning that it was way easier to drill holes in my stuff and screw/bolt it together, you can make changes so much easier that way. It’s sounds like it’s a little more expensive, but if you try to glue this stuff you better get it right 1st time in angle and everything or yer fornicated, and you’ll end up with wasted material and time. I’m also including this simple drawing of the basic layout of the seat. Hay, am I the only person out there that’s done this??? i have a long background of riding and racing and building dirt and race bikes, and was a machinist for several years, so this was simple for me to think up, and didn’t really take much assistance to build, hell, the hardest part is gettin it in the tub and clamping it together...no way I could do that without help. I do use a raised, padded toilet seat, but remove it when I'm not using it. Ok.....I’m tired of typing...See Ya
    Sorry I'm taking up all this space...this will take 2 postings for all the photoz
    Last edited by St Elmo; 05-24-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Here's the last 3

thanks- that's quite the seat! much more than I was thinking of doing. I like the PVC w/ bolts idea, I wanted to make a travel chair that will break down to a suitcase for airplanes. I'll have to do some thinking now.

I have considered disassembling the arm rest thing with different longer length "inside' lower upright pieces and taking it with me when I travel. I lean on it a lot when I dump and finding bathrooms that really work in hotels is rare. My seat fits, mostly, but I'm used to leaning on the handle. If you had a powered screwdriver assembly and disassembling it would be easy and quick, and the parts don't weigh much either. Good luck and plan ahead.