Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Facebook

I think if one exercises a degree of caution FB can be a great place to connect with people far and wide. My FB friends are in India, Scotland, England, India, Ireland, and a few other places. Privacy settings insure that only your friends can have info about you, and then it is up to you to decide how much to share (or not). I also like the birthday notifications and the chance to participate in petition signing for important causes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I think if one exercises a degree of caution FB can be a great place to connect with people far and wide. My FB friends are in India, Scotland, England, India, Ireland, and a few other places. Privacy settings insure that only your friends can have info about you, and then it is up to you to decide how much to share (or not). I also like the birthday notifications and the chance to participate in petition signing for important causes.
    The privacy settings don't keep your information private from corporate Facebook. They have all of it, will keep all of it, and use all of it to the advantage of their financial bottom line.

You can keep in touch by email.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The privacy settings don't keep your information private from corporate Facebook. They have all of it, will keep all of it, and use all of it to the advantage of their financial bottom line.

All the best,
    GJ
    I could, but since I really have nothing to hide from the government or the corporate fb office I don't really care. What they would find out about me is what almost anyone would know about me not too long after meeting me. I love animals, I lean towards the left politically, and that I have dual citizenship. More personal than that I don't get.

All the best,
    GJ
    Additionally, they do not protect you when your account has been hacked.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

All the best,
    GJ
    Unless you use a VPN solution to a identity hiding service your ISP knows everything you do. They see every email you send, every webpage you go to, every file you download, etc. If you don't want people to know anything about your private life, don't do it online. Otherwise, like Eileen said who cares if she likes cats, is a secret member of the tea party and gives money to the George Bush presidential library.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Unless you use a VPN solution to a identity hiding service your ISP knows everything you do. They see every email you send, every webpage you go to, every file you download, etc. If you don't want people to know anything about your private life, don't do it online. Otherwise, like Eileen said who cares if she likes cats, is a secret member of the tea party and gives money to the George Bush presidential library.
    Really, how much did she give? Honestly, I would respect her more if she offered to teach George to read without moving his lips.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    LOL! This made me smile!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Really, how much did she give? Honestly, I would respect her more if she offered to teach George to read without moving his lips.
    Not too surprisingly, this did too!

Today, I saw an interview with Jim Steyer. According to his website, "Jim has spent more than 20 years as one of the most respected experts and entrepreneurs on issues related to children's policy and media in the United States. As CEO, he is responsible for the overall leadership of Common Sense Media, the nation's leading nonpartisan organization dedicated to improving the media lives of kids and families."Jim is the author of:
    Talking Back to Facebook: The Common Sense Guide to Raising Kids in the Digital Age
    The Other Parent: The Inside Story of the Media's Effect on Our Children

He made two interesting points about Facebook:
    1. The business model for Facebook is to collect and harvest personal data for financial gain.
    2. Even though Facebook speaks in glowing terms about its privacy policies and settings, you must check your privacy settings frequently (a good practice would be to check them daily) because every time Facebook tweaks its software (which happens all the time), every privacy setting you made is omitted and reverts back to the generic Facebook settings.

Yes, I know that my ISP knows where I go, what I down load, what I email, but those things are not aggregated together in a single public forum for anyone to see and spread around on there own pages. The problem is that many people, especially youngsters haven't developed a good sense of how to be discreet in who they friend and what they reveal.

All the best,
    GJ

Email is not as secure as you think it is either. all depends on what you type into your computer...everything is somewhere...