Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Input on a new ultra lightweight wheelchair (hemi)

Hi Chas,

Sorry to pester you again. This about our backup 2GX wheelchair that you helped me with a few months ago, and trying to make the FSH higher.

I've been e-mailing with Jimbo at Sportaid, but I think I hit him with too much information, and he has been slow to respond.

Do you happen to know if the extensions http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/C...D=531&IID=2465 are available longer, i.e., up to 2"?

We decided to go with the 6" x 1.4" Frog Leg Epic Soft Rolls to gain some height also.

Many thanks,
    Ellyn

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    You will need two extensions AND two longer fork stems ("hemi caster mount asy") coordinated to the length of the extensions. ...)
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Hi Chas,

Sorry to pester you again. . . .

Do you happen to know if the extensions http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/C...D=531&IID=2465 are available longer, i.e., up to 2"?
    No problem, Ellyn; glad to offer my opinion FWIW.

From what I know the extensions are available in only 0.5" and 1.0" lengths. I have the 1" ones, and they are pretty long. Longer lengths would put tremendous torque on the fork stems when rolling. I suspect that's why they're not available in longer lengths.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

From my searches on TiLite those are the only sizes I found also. I kind of figured that about the torque, but I thought it was worth a try. We finally had a proper measurement done, and the 2GX is probably about 3 inches shorter than it should be. Still, it should be okay as a backup and for getting around upstairs at night. Many thanks again.

No problem, Ellyn; glad to offer my opinion FWIW.

From what I know the extensions are available in only 0.5" and 1.0" lengths. I have the 1" ones, and they are pretty long. Longer lengths would put tremendous torque on the fork stems when rolling. I suspect that's why they're not available in longer lengths.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

After a very long wait we finally have a meeting tomorrow morning with someone from the local government and are suppose to hear what our budget is.

I'm on pins-and-needles hoping this all goes well. I've got cinnamon rolls ready to go into the oven in the morning for the meeting, because I never think a bit of food persuasion hurts.

I am "loaded for bear" with a spreadsheet of every possible option configuration ready to determine if the budget is in fact what we previously negotiated based on medical necessity. Hopefully, it won't be necessary, but I don't think they will be prepared to show us what the totals are based on.

Thank you all for your input so far. Hopefully the next post you see is about me asking if our specs make sense.... Wish us luck!

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We are finally making some progress in getting my husband an ultralight wheelchair with a power add-on funded by the local government...

. . . break a leg . . .
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks Chas. Your help and support have been great.

BTW, the parts for the other chair (2GX) we needed to raise the seat height on should arrive next week. Boy, was that some effort to get the parts ordered. Once I have them, you will probably be hearing from me about that too! I know I'm going to need some input on COG at very minimum. Maybe some time this decade my husband will be in a comfortable and usable char....

. . . break a leg . . .

I'll be think of you and your meeting. Best of luck and I hope you don't need that spead sheet but the baking can never hurt lol.

finally received our budget indication

The good news is that we finally received our budget indication today from the local government

I am now going through the US TiLite order form comparing it with the Dutch TiLite order form (it's out-of-date) and comparing that with the government supplied budget form that only lists options and a total. Then I have to take it backward to try to figure out how they derived the budget option-by-option, taking into account taxes, shipping, etc. Then I need to compare that with other quotes I have. I am so happy I had already put this in a huge spreadsheet. It is just way too much fun -- NOT

And of course, they threw rules at us that I had previously asked about and was told were not a problem, with no supporting paperwork "rules" which I had also previously asked for many times. The level of transparency and bureaucracy is mind boggling

There are definitely some errors in the budget, but the best one of all is that we were quoted for a wheelchair without a seat (we will not be reimbursed for anything not quoted explicitly). When I told my husband he said "That's okay, I'll just stand!". Oh, how we wish he could stand, so this is very ironic, funny, I just don know what....

Excuse all of the smiles, but one has to make sanity out of the insane sometimes. I'm just happy that they did not give us a budget for another depot chair. I'm sure we will sort this out, but as usual, it will take a lot of time....