Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Input on a new ultra lightweight wheelchair (hemi)

That is what we were thinking also as an option. Can you do a Designs Unlimited on a chair ordered through Sportaid?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    why not purchase through sportaid and have it delivered to your brother?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I'm interested how it works if you want a design on another chair, for example TWO PIECE FLIP-UP FOOTPLATE (page 29) on a ZRA (only available for TR and YR). Does the customer have to pay any development/research costs?
    Did you take a look at the thread I mentioned the other day? He had talked to tilite about having a TR done with one footrest for hemi use. I don't believe there are additional charges above the designs unlimited fee. I believe the designs unlimited charge is 400, and people before you have successfully gotten tilite chairs with one footrest or flip up footrests.

SCI_OTR also has posts about chairs he did for a client that had the extra rigidizer bar so that it could have flip up footrests (in a rigid chair, the footrest is part of the chairs stability so the extra rigidizer takes it's place.) http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...highlight=flip and http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...highlight=flip

And here is one he did with a one piece flip up plate, but I imagine individual flip ups could be directly substituted. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...highlight=flip

I don't believe you'll have any issue with sportaid. People here have recommended using tilites order form off the website first. Also inform both sportaid and tilite that YOU want to sign off on the CAD before the chair is built. This is a drawing of the chair that's used to manufacture it. Tilite will accept it signed off by the vender, that's why you need to inform them that you want to sign of on it personally.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 06-08-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: adding links
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thank you so much ~Lin. I had read the other thread, but especially the ones you just posted by SCI_OTR are really helpful. I finally feel like we are getting somewhere with finding a chair that matches our requirements.

I'm also learning the process more, so that really helps. It looks like we definitely could do this with Sportaid. Here is a thread about that that also gave some good tips.

This community is absolutely fabulous. I really don't think we could do it without all of you.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I totally agree WahWah. After almost 3 years in a crap fold-up we want a rigid chair. 2 weeks ago the fold-up folded up when my husband went to reach for something and he fell on his head on hard tiles. Itr eally sucked, and caused him a lot of pain for 2 weeks.

We are looking to also get a used TiLite fold-up on E-bay as a backup chair and for use upstairs, and when we really need it for travelling.

We are also hoping to get a ZX1 Power add-on when they become available. We think this combination should fit all our needs. Here is a thread about it http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=176356.

I agree that this site is great. It's the best I have found in 3 years. I am surprised that there are not more like it in other communities like MD, Stroke, MS, etc. Although the requirements can be different, much of the core technology is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    On folding lightweight chairs, for me with Beckar's MD...not sci...this lack of knowledge of the difference between folding and rigid chairs was the first mistake (I almost) made.
    we are yet to find a practical powered wheelchair for me to go out in, i mean you buy a big power chair you need a van, lots of money and lots of patience dealing with the stupid thing if it goes bad.

I am so thankful I got recommended this site even though I too have a different disability to the majority of people in here with sci.
    Last edited by elarson; 06-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Tilite 2GX (swing-away / hemi height)

Along with researching a rigid everyday chair, are looking to also get a used TiLite fold-up to use temporarily as an everyday chair, and later as a backup and for travelling.

We found a used Tilite 2GX (swing-away / hemi height) on this forum that looks like a good possibility, but I'm not sure about the seat height, as it seems a bit low (front=14.5", rear=14"). On the Tilite 2GX order form it says:

FRONT SEAT HEIGHT C) Measure from floor to top of seat tube at beginning of bend. Adjustable in 1/2” increments.

REAR SEAT HEIGHT D) Measure from floor to top of seat tube at back post. Adjustable in 3/8” increments.
    Does this mean that we can adjust the front/rear seat height?

I have taken some basic measurements of my husband. If we can adjust the seat height I think this chair would work, or possibly with some other workaround (higher cushion, casters, fork, etc.). Any input?
    Last edited by elarson; 06-13-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added measurements

When you go to Sportaid you may want to ask for Jimbo. He is a quad chairuser w over 30 yrs experience as wheelchair athlete, knows about all there is to know about manual chairs.

Tilite 2GX (swing-away / hemi height)

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We found a used Tilite 2GX (swing-away / hemi height) on this forum that looks like a good possibility, but I'm not sure about the seat height, as it seems a bit low (front=14.5", rear=14").
    I just realised that they had new casters put on which raised it about 3". This would make it exactly what he needs at about 17".

I guess my question now is if anyone see's any reason not to get this chair based on the measurements above and these specs:

GXFS1 TiLite 2GX SWING AWAY $2995
    GXFS3 HEMI HEIGHT FRAME NCO
    GXFF1 SATIN FRAME FINISH STD
    GXSW1 16" SEAT WIDTH
    GXSD10 LONG FRAME LENGTH
    18" SEAT DEPTH
    GXFSH1 14.5" FRONT SEAT HEIGHT
    GXRSH1 14" REAR SEAT HEIGHT
    GXSB14 FIXED ANGLE ADJ SEAT BACK 8 DEG NCO
    GXSB6 INTEGRATED PUSH HANDLES NCO
    16"-20" SEAT BACK RANGE
    17" SEAT BACK HEIGHT
    GXCBR8 0 DEGREE CAMBER
    GXFA3 70 DEGREE FRONT ANGLE
    12.5" SEAT TO FOOTREST
    GXFTR12 HI MOUNT FLIP-UP FR K0037 $165
    4" FRONT WHEELS
    GXFW14 1.5" PLASTIC W/POLY CASTERS $80
    24" WHEEL SIZE
    GXRW8 SPINERGY LX WHEELS $895
    GO GREEN SPOKES
    GXAXL1 STAINLESS QUICK RELEASE AXLES STD
    GXRTR1 TREADED TIRES STD
    GXRTR2 AIRLESS INSERTS E2213 $80
    GXRIM1 SILVER ANO HANDRIMS STD
    GXRIM7 LONG HANDRIM TABS STD
    GXWLK1 STANDARD PUSH TO LOCK NCO
    GXUPC1 BLACK UPHOLSTERY STD
    GXBUP0 OMIT BACK UPHOLSTERY NCO
    GXSUP4 TENSION ADJUSTABLE SEAT UPH STD
    GXARM2 REMOVABLE DESKARM 12"-15" E0973 $350
    STANDARD LENGTH PAD (10")
    GXTIP1 BLACK ALUMINUM ANTI-TIPS E0971 $135
    Last edited by elarson; 06-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Tilite ZRA and 2GX parts interchangibility

I hope you all don't mind all of my questions.

As mentioned in earlier posts, we are researching a rigid everyday chair, along with a used TiLite fold-up to use temporarily as an everyday chair, and later as a backup and for travelling.

Where we are now on the research for the rigid everyday chair is a Tilite ZRA, hopefully to be funded by the government (working on that now also).

Does anyone know if most parts are interchangeable between a ZRA and a 2GX (especially because of tube frame differences)? We are interested in the ZRA (1.25" tube) because of it's adjustability, but if another, for example, the TR (1"tube) was more interchangeable, we might choose that.

It will take me forever to compare part numbers on both chairs, and would be helpful to have an idea if some parts are. The parts I am most interested in having interchangeable are the "emergency" parts, like wheels, casters, forks, etc. so that I have time to order parts, but the chair would still be usable.

Thanks again for all of your input. These are just not easy questions that I can ask a local distributor (I'm native English and we live in Holland - Dutch), and there is a chance that we will order on Sportaid rather than through a local distributor.
    Last edited by elarson; 06-13-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Hi

I've just ordered some nomad OADs and will be reviewing them on here.Which I will have fitted to an oblete chair that LOVE

My current chair is a Melrose stallion with OADs fitted I don't like this chair but love the OADs .

Oads are the right choice for hemis who are active

Eagerly waiting for our slightly used TiLite 2GX

I'm so excited. After months of research, we are finally getting into the game with an ultralight wheelchair. I feel a bit like at Christmas waiting for my husband to open something I think he will love, and see how much better life can be in a good chair.

He has a hard time researching all of this due to many limitations, but being a bit of a techie, I think I have muddled through the newbie learning curve. We are getting this chair for temporary use to get him out of a horrible everyday depot chair that he had a bad fall from recently. After we decide on an everyday chair, we'll use it upstairs (have a stair lift), for when we need a folding chair, and also for backup when I don't have time to fix something quickly.

I'm hoping that by having a good chair, that I can take apart and understand better, it will help me when we make final decisions about his full-time everyday chair. We are pretty much on our own, and I really need to feel that we make the best decisions possible.

After scouring many sites, it's a chair we found on the CareCure forums (Equipment & Services). Sadly, it was only used a short time because the previous owner passed away. I had many e-mails with his wife, and she was wonderful in helping to drive it 1.5 hours each way to get it to someone who can get it to us in Holland.

For anyone wondering if you can trust in buying something on the forum, all I can say is that she was good to her word, and she went above and beyond to help us. I am eternally grateful, and hope we can do her husband's wheelchair justice.

It was going to cost a fortune to ship -- as much as the asking price, and on top of that we would have had to pay customs/taxes (hope nobody is monitoring this;-). We are paying for this out-of-pocket, and just could not afford that.

It's now at a friends house who will be coming in at 6:00 a.m. on Sunday on his way to Madrid. If all goes well, I'll be able to pick it up at lost luggage. Unfortunately, I won't be able to meet up with him, because I can't get a gate pass.

It's been a logistical challenge, with finding out how it works to check a wheelchair part way, etc., but hopefully it will all work out.

I can't tell you how much this forum is helping me (us). I hope to start posting some more intelligent questions soon, once we have a "real" wheelchair...

Keep your fingers crossed for us that the airlines do not make our lives living hell about this. Until it arrives I won't really believe it!
    Last edited by elarson; 06-21-2012 at 06:47 PM.