Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Input on a new ultra lightweight wheelchair (hemi)

Correct on the front for the icon, it only has the one type of front with 2 width options at this time. Its also aluminum.

Top End is owned by Invacare, so they are the same company now. I do not know if there is a difference in manufacture for chairs outside the US.

There was a thread not too long ago by someone who was getting a tilite that they would be propelling with one arm and one leg, have you read it? They chose a titanium rigid model that tilite was going to modify for one footrest. [url]http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=176375&highlight=polio[url]
    Last edited by ~Lin; 06-08-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: delete extraneous info
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

@tooley Many thanks. The one you mentioned is already done with bids (I was not fast enough). I do see another that looks the right size http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiLite-17x18...item1c27a02ef5

I'm thinking we could get this for use until we sort something, and also have a backup folding chair for upstairs (have a stair lift) and when we need folding.

I'm curious, does Tilite often sell their demo chairs on e-bay? I'm wondering if I should rush, or if this happens often.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Tilite pretty much always has chairs listed on ebay. At least has for a while now.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Tilite: why not a swing-away dual tube titanium?

It seems that to me that there should be something like the TR/TX for people who want swing-away with dual tube titanium. For those who must have swing-away's, this seems like a missing link. Any input?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    It seems that to me that there should be something like the TR/TX for people who want swing-away with dual tube titanium. For those who must have swing-away's, this seems like a missing link. Any input?
    Flip up footrests are available as a Designs Unlimited add on.

Look at http://www.tilite.com/assets/pdf/TiL..._unlimited.pdf, pages 27, 29 and 42.

On folding lightweight chairs, for me with Beckar's MD...not sci...this lack of knowledge of the difference between folding and rigid chairs was the first mistake (I almost) made.

Folding chairs do indeed fold but seem flimsy and altogether a bit crap, you could easily draw a conclusion that a folding chair will fit easily in a car etc. and go out and buy one straight away spending quite a lot of money.

Thing is, RIGID chairs do fold down at the backrest and the wheels can be easily removed and do often fit in the boot of a car quite easily. Then, when the person gets to their destination they aren't hampered by the crap handling of a folding chair. Most folding chairs have a sling type seat base which is just plain uncomfortable.

I can push myself around in shopping centres and really flat surfaces, but when I need a push from my wife of whoever's with me they also find the rigid frame chair to be very easy to push. I'm 6' myself, im not hugely overweight but with height comes unavoidable weight. my wife is quite petite and can easily push me about if I need help.

we are yet to find a practical powered wheelchair for me to go out in, i mean you buy a big power chair you need a van, lots of money and lots of patience dealing with the stupid thing if it goes bad.

I am so thankful I got recommended this site even though I too have a different disability to the majority of people in here with sci.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Thanks Katja. Now I am understanding a bit about how Designs Unlimited works with TiLite. I couldn't find much information on the TiLite site about it.

I'm interested how it works if you want a design on another chair, for example TWO PIECE FLIP-UP FOOTPLATE (page 29) on a ZRA (only available for TR and YR). Does the customer have to pay any development/research costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Flip up footrests are available as a Designs Unlimited add on.

Look at http://www.tilite.com/assets/pdf/TiL..._unlimited.pdf, pages 27, 29 and 42.

TiLite dealing direct?

We are also wondering if TiLite ever deals direct. We live in Europe and the distributor here is very expensive (almost double the Sportaid price). My brother lives a few hours from TiLite in Kennewick, and for the same cost as going through a local distributor here, we could fly there and also get in a vacation.

why not purchase through sportaid and have it delivered to your brother?

I just saw this thread that shows what I think is the TWO PIECE FLIP-UP FOOTPLATE on the ZRA. I'm going to ask more on that thread about it. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=152368

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks Katja. Now I am understanding a bit about how Designs Unlimited works with TiLite. I couldn't find much information on the TiLite site about it.

I'm interested how it works if you want a design on another chair, for example TWO PIECE FLIP-UP FOOTPLATE (page 29) on a ZRA (only available for TR and YR). Does the customer have to pay any development/research costs?