Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: hand controls?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom15 View Post
    We did not go through an eval either. The cost is what stopped us as insurance would not pick it up either. A friend of ours uses portable hand controls and has for 15 years. My son tried them and had no problem. He went to the DMV and they put on his dl that he was using hand controls. He is practicing and then taking the driving test. He has had not problems. Very happy and has some of his independance back.
    I guess it's different from state to state because my driver license do not have anything about me being disabled or that I use hand controls. I asked a friend that's a cop if he ran my driver license would it list that I'm in a wheelchair or that I drive with hand controls and he said no it would not.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom15 View Post
    We did not go through an eval either. The cost is what stopped us as insurance would not pick it up either. A friend of ours uses portable hand controls and has for 15 years. My son tried them and had no problem. He went to the DMV and they put on his dl that he was using hand controls. He is practicing and then taking the driving test. He has had not problems. Very happy and has some of his independance back.
    Is going through the whole program and evaluation mandatory??? I live in S.C.., been driving for over 20+ years. I called to get an estimate on program ...came up to a little over $2,000. The person I spoke to was give me a breakdown of 3hrs behind the wheel classroom training, 10 hrs+ of actual driving with an instructor at about $180.00 per hr and about 1 hr per day, 2 days a week, which means it would take several weeks. I would actually have to bug people to drive me 45min to the center. Just expensive and a big hassle. I know personally I can use hand controls because I use to Valet for a Hotels and hospitals and we would park patients vehicles with hand controls attached all the time. Is there anyway around this..will the DMV actually require some sort of proof that you actually went through this course?

  3. #13
    It has been my experience that spinner knobs vary all over the place. Whenever I purchase a new vehicle and take advantage of the manufacture's disability program the pricing tends to come out at about the max amount the manufacture rebate is, and yes the last spinner knob I almost purchased was billed at a unbelievable rate, it may have been $200? I had them take it off and I purchased one on EBay with the same quality for $10 shipped. Unfortunately, the $200 for a spinner knob is no crazier than what Bruno get's for some of their lift parts.

    Good Luck
    Tim

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawo View Post
    Is going through the whole program and evaluation mandatory??? I live in S.C.., been driving for over 20+ years. I called to get an estimate on program ...came up to a little over $2,000. The person I spoke to was give me a breakdown of 3hrs behind the wheel classroom training, 10 hrs+ of actual driving with an instructor at about $180.00 per hr and about 1 hr per day, 2 days a week, which means it would take several weeks. I would actually have to bug people to drive me 45min to the center. Just expensive and a big hassle. I know personally I can use hand controls because I use to Valet for a Hotels and hospitals and we would park patients vehicles with hand controls attached all the time. Is there anyway around this..will the DMV actually require some sort of proof that you actually went through this course?
    I had a similar experience as you here in Wa, being told what I had to do and how much it would cost. But what I found out is that the DMV did not care, their concern was about operating the vehicle safely under all conditions, their words. Call your DMV.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  5. #15
    I found here in Colorado that some installers required a course, others didn't. DMV didn't care. I assume it was CYA on the installer's part, and picked a company to do the work that didn't require it.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I found here in Colorado that some installers required a course, others didn't. DMV didn't care. I assume it was CYA on the installer's part, and picked a company to do the work that didn't require it.
    Installation is the catch. I have a friend who owns a repair/customization shop in Ca, and I thought I could get a good price if he could install a set. No dice, the manufactures would not even sell him a set.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Installation is the catch. I have a friend who owns a repair/customization shop in Ca, and I thought I could get a good price if he could install a set. No dice, the manufactures would not even sell him a set.
    I hear you.

    My husband is a qualified mechanic, but didn't feel comfortable installing my first set of hand controls (Monarchs). Then he uninstalled them from the car in order to sell it, I got Menox on the current car, but will be switching back to Monarchs for my next car (which is imminent). Since he uninstalled them, he's feeling confident about re-installing them this time.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawo View Post
    Is going through the whole program and evaluation mandatory??? I live in S.C.., been driving for over 20+ years. I called to get an estimate on program ...came up to a little over $2,000. The person I spoke to was give me a breakdown of 3hrs behind the wheel classroom training, 10 hrs+ of actual driving with an instructor at about $180.00 per hr and about 1 hr per day, 2 days a week, which means it would take several weeks. I would actually have to bug people to drive me 45min to the center. Just expensive and a big hassle. I know personally I can use hand controls because I use to Valet for a Hotels and hospitals and we would park patients vehicles with hand controls attached all the time. Is there anyway around this..will the DMV actually require some sort of proof that you actually went through this course?
    Before I could get the "rider" to included the van modifications ($22,000) on my auto insurance, I had to get hand-control certified. I spoke with the people here at Vocational Rehabilitation and they furnished the training. After completing the course, I was sent a letter to carry to my doctor to be filled out and sent to DOT in Atlanta. I received a letter from the DOT which I carried to take a drivers test. After being licensed, the insurance company is covering my van for about $52,000.

    Note: The $5.00 spinners are a piece of crap and break. The spinner I use now was $126 and I would tear the steering wheel off before it would break. It is great for parallel parking and making quick 90 degree turns.


    Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne


  9. #19
    i made mine from stuff found at a few hardware stores and lawn mower shop it was easy and very cheap to do i drive a 1967 mustang (good weather only) and 2010 jeep warngler cost less than 20 bucks each got spinner knob at truck stop for 10 dollars each

  10. #20
    Thank you guys, I will definitely check with the DMV and get the portable hand controls in the meantime, till I can find permanent ones.

Similar Threads

  1. hand controls
    By amanda in forum Equipment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 02:47 AM
  2. hand controls
    By once mma fighter in forum Equipment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 11:28 PM
  3. Hand Controls for my car
    By Seenkid101 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
  4. UTV hand controls and etc
    By TimN in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 04:08 PM
  5. Hand controls 101
    By singin_intherain in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 01:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •