Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hand controls?

hand controls?

In a previous life, all I ever enjoyed doing was driving, or working on my cars and motorcycles. It wasn't my job but I loved it as a hobby. Since my accident I have been extremely patient and wanting to know everything there is to know about hand controls. I wanted to know the safety, the mechanics, and the probability that I could get stuck somewhere with no help. Right out of the hospital I took a drivers evaluation. The controls that I used were the Generic right side mount, push down for gas push toward the dash for the brake. I passed the eval without any issues. I was independent in close to 90% of my life at that point. I bought a car. A car i spent 8 months looking for. However getting into the car I was questioning the logic that the drivers rehab facility was seeing. I wondered, What if I was T-boned? What is preventing the controls from being pinned to the floor if I was hit in the side of the car. I called everyone looking for answers. I called suppliers, I called my OT, and the drivers rehab facility. No answers. I went a year with out driving. My car sat in my garage and every place I needed to go I was driven there by someone. A few weeks ago I got the itch to start up again. I had to take another Eval because it had been a year. However this time I was going to do things my way. I knew the controls I wanted and focused my attention on getting it. I am on the border of making a decision to which company will install my controls. I question though the process that these vendors take to "Try to help Us". It is what is written is what you will get and if you try to cross that you will be knocked down. I am refusing to buy a spinner knob that cost $200. They are threatening to not release my car. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THAT TO ME? I don't want to hear protocol or liability I have full function of my upper body. I know what it is to be a safe driver. I also know what my limitations are in this. A spinner knob is not going to change much of anything.

Banned
    My advice to you is to have an attorney notify them of their mistakes, and of the massive lawsuit you're preparing.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsov03 View Post
    In a previous life, all I ever enjoyed doing was driving, or working on my cars and motorcycles. It wasn't my job but I loved it as a hobby. Since my accident I have been extremely patient and wanting to know everything there is to know about hand controls. I wanted to know the safety, the mechanics, and the probability that I could get stuck somewhere with no help. Right out of the hospital I took a drivers evaluation. The controls that I used were the Generic right side mount, push down for gas push toward the dash for the brake. I passed the eval without any issues. I was independent in close to 90% of my life at that point. I bought a car. A car i spent 8 months looking for. However getting into the car I was questioning the logic that the drivers rehab facility was seeing. I wondered, What if I was T-boned? What is preventing the controls from being pinned to the floor if I was hit in the side of the car. I called everyone looking for answers. I called suppliers, I called my OT, and the drivers rehab facility. No answers. I went a year with out driving. My car sat in my garage and every place I needed to go I was driven there by someone. A few weeks ago I got the itch to start up again. I had to take another Eval because it had been a year. However this time I was going to do things my way. I knew the controls I wanted and focused my attention on getting it. I am on the border of making a decision to which company will install my controls. I question though the process that these vendors take to "Try to help Us". It is what is written is what you will get and if you try to cross that you will be knocked down. I am refusing to buy a spinner knob that cost $200. They are threatening to not release my car. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THAT TO ME? I don't want to hear protocol or liability I have full function of my upper body. I know what it is to be a safe driver. I also know what my limitations are in this. A spinner knob is not going to change much of anything.
    What kind of hand controls do you want, not the kind prescribed?

As to the spinner knob. imho $200 is too much.

I'm sure if you proved to the driving evaluator that you didn't need a spinner knob they would remove it from the prescription.

Can you steer your car with one hand (while holding the brake on with your other) from full lock right to full lock left and back with the car parked and not running?

If you can i'm sure they would remove it from the prescription.

btw: if your in a car and get t-boned by a truck on the drivers side it's going to be ugly with or without hand controls.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Most of todays hand controls are very well made and safe. A spinner knob is about $90 from www.sportaid.com I have never worried about the controls injuring me, but now days I worry a lot about all the idiots on cell phones who are distracted.

FWIW, I never took a driver eval in rehab. I borrowed a set of portables, carefully drove around the block a few times and passed my driver's license exam with no problem a couple of days later, then I bought the hand conyrols I wanted. This was 8 years ago, and to this date I have never missed drivers evaluation. You may want to consider skipping it. I got my license in FL.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    FWIW, I never took a driver eval in rehab. I borrowed a set of portables, carefully drove around the block a few times and passed my driver's license exam with no problem a couple of days later, then I bought the hand conyrols I wanted. This was 8 years ago, and to this date I have never missed drivers evaluation. You may want to consider skipping it. I got my license in FL.
    FYI, I drove for 18 years with one type of hand control but when I bought a new car back in December and had to change to a different type of control due to limited space, the company doing the install required that I do a driving evaluation. It's no big deal and afterwards I was glad that I did.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

seems your main concern with the knob is the cost...they have em on ebay for $10-$20...put it on, have the vendor not install it and take it off the invoice...and after all said and done if u dont want, take it off......i have one on my wheel....when everything was being done, i was like, i dont need that......and honestly, now, it makes it easier....and i use it....
    - Rolling Thru Life -

First if you get T-boned hard enough to hit the hand control lever to knock it to full throttle, you won't be worried about it. If you are still worried, get a motorcycle style throttle set up.
    I'd have to check, but there use to be a sensor in all fuel injected cars that cut the fuel pump off in an accident. They were a pain in the ass when they first came out, because they were so sensitive.
    If you can work on cars, why not put on your own hand controls? I've been doing it for 30 years. I'm a T6 para. Sometimes I take out the driver seat to get under the dash.
    You can get spinner knobs at any farm supply store for about 5 bucks. If you're a para, you shouldn't need one and it will probably bug you if you do have one.

We did not go through an eval either. The cost is what stopped us as insurance would not pick it up either. A friend of ours uses portable hand controls and has for 15 years. My son tried them and had no problem. He went to the DMV and they put on his dl that he was using hand controls. He is practicing and then taking the driving test. He has had not problems. Very happy and has some of his independance back.

tomsov03 - My son and I jumped through hoops last year trying to get hand controls installed into his truck. I went round and round with the driving therapist/evaluation, and the company doing the installation of the controls. We ended up paying the price of the spinner knob, as it was the only way my son was going to be allowed to get his truck back from the installation company. The hoops to jump through in the state of Illinois are ridiculous just to be able to drive again!!! In the long run my son is back driving, and very happy!