Thread: long-term catchter usage

Question long-term catchter usage

I am taking care of my 96 year-old mother-in-law. She received a catchter 3 months ago. Her primary-care dr said we would need to have it removed following this schedule: out for 1 week and then reinserted for 5 weeks. I am concerned with how she will respond to not having the catchter and her need to urinate. We use depends but I am concerned with the ability to keep the bed or chair clean for her as well as her personal hygiene. Any suggestions or comments concerning the schedule for removal and then reinsertion routine?

I assume you mean a urinary catheter? I don't understand the physician's rationale for removing the catheter for a week at a time. This is certainly on based on research or any existing clinical practice guidelines. What is his rationale for this? What is the specialty of this physician? Has she seen a urologist?

Have other methods of managing her bladder been explored (bladder training, incontinence padding, intermittent catheterization)? Why is she incontinent? It is not just automatic with aging.

(KLD)