Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Back in bed

Back in bed

Yes, I got another sore. Don't know where this one came from or what how I got it but it's on my right ischium, about the size of a nickel and maybe 3 mm deep. I feel like I'm destined to live in bed. Just when I was getting used to being up all day. I'm not going to need surgery on this because I'm staying in bed and it's getting better. The reason I don't know where it came from is I'm on a Ride Design cushion in my ischiums sit and a bucket so they're not touching anything. The worst part is I knew it was coming. I had the sweats all day a couple weeks ago but when I got in bed all that was there was a little red dot so I didn't think much of it. Got up the next two days with very little sweating doing my weight shifts by leaning forward all the way and sitting myself back up. I would do it for a solid 2 min. straight which we know takes all the pressure off the back of my butt. Hopefully have it done by the middle of next month. All we're doing with it, and the Dr. suggested this, is putting Aquacell silver in and covering it With gauze. Wish me luck on getting this healed quick. I've been dying to get out and do more things in the spinal cord injury community and have actually gotten out quite a bit over the past year. Oh well, it is what it is. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next few days
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Seems to me you have done everything right, what a bummer.

Yeah man that does suck. I'm currently stuck in bed at a hospital because of a flap surgery, so I know how you feel.

Sorry to hear that Rye. But you have to accept that you are very susceptible to breakdowns because of your history. You have not been taking optimal care of your butt. You should have been taking at least a mid-day break from your chair. Your butt is no longer durable enough to be doing all day in your chair. That is why everyone preaches prevention, prevention, prevention to newbies. Besides, you had a red spot "warning." How many times going through this is it going to take before you start erring on the side of caution? I wish I had a positive message for you, but these are the hard facts that I learned from dealing with 1000+ SCIs over the course of my career. As with any human issue, there are exceptions that beat the odds, but it is clear that you are not one of them.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

ugh!!! not again!! i am sorry to hear this.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Oh Ryan-sorry to hear this.

Rybread, something isn't right. Have you had pressure mapping done? Have you tried a high profile ROHO? How is your nutrition? Are you sure you are doing adequate pressure reliefs during the day? What kind of mattress do you sleep on and do you stay off it at night? I feel for you because I just had a flap done about 18 months ago and it failed immediately and then had it done about again 6 months ago.

Your Ride cushion needs to be checked. We have often had to modify these cushions if someone gains or looses a lot of weight, or has new muscle atrophy. You are getting pressure somehow.

I assume you are not spending a lot of time on a commode or sitting up in bed as a possible cause of ischial pressure, correct?

(KLD)

damn dude, seems like every couple of months you're having skin issues. i'm sorry to hear you got another one. i'm just now healing my first one in 11 years on my hip. only took about 3 months w/wound vac and staying off it.

good luck and fast healing man.....

Hi Ry,
    Sorry to hear you have another pressure sore. Hoping it will heal quickly and you'll be back up and around again very soon.

All the best,
    GJ