Thread: Commode/Shower Chair Replacement Seat

Commode/Shower Chair Replacement Seat

I have an Activeaid shower/commode chair JTG Series F605. I need a replacement seat. The seat is described by Activeaid as a "waterfall" type seat, part number 60913.

I have contacted Sportaid, Care Medical, Spin Life, United Seating, The Medical Shop, Southwest Medical and have done internet searches for other potential suppliers. Most of these suppliers will order the replacement seat but do not accept medicare. I have contacted local suppliers and there is only one that "might" bill medicare. Do you have any other suggetions of any DME suppliers who accept medicare for replacement parts to shower/commode chairs?

Almost every supplier I have contacted locally won't order the replacement part, they all want to sell me a new chair, medicare covered or not. The seat retail costs $190, a new chair costs around $1200. Ah yay!

All the best,
    GJ

My experience has been that medicare won't pay for maintenance. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to fix these minor things instead of buying new. One time my chair needed a couple of things fixed and medicare made it cheaper to buy a new one with the co-pay. I took my obsolete shower cushion to a local upholstery shop and they fixed it for a third of the price. Good luck.

Medicare rarely if ever pays for bathroom equipment. Was your original chair paid for by them? Most people have to get bathroom equipment paid for by non-Medicare payers, or pay out of pocket.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by terry_s1968 View Post
    My experience has been that medicare won't pay for maintenance. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to fix these minor things instead of buying new. One time my chair needed a couple of things fixed and medicare made it cheaper to buy a new one with the co-pay. I took my obsolete shower cushion to a local upholstery shop and they fixed it for a third of the price. Good luck.
    I have had good luck with Medicare paying for repairs on my power wheelchair, even though it was not purchased for me by Medicare. The chair is 2 years old (the reasonable useful lifetime requirement is five years old for replacement rather than repair). When I have needed repairs, I have gotten a letter of medical necessity from my doctor, along with a note on his Rx script for the repair. I have always taken the wheelchair to a Medicare participating durable medical equipment supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Medicare rarely if ever pays for bathroom equipment. Was your original chair paid for by them? Most people have to get bathroom equipment paid for by non-Medicare payers, or pay out of pocket.
    The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services publication number CMS Publication No. 11045 entitled Medicare Coverage of Durable Medical Equipment and Other Devices has a list on pages 6 and 7.
    From page 6:
    Durable Medical Equipment-What Medicare Covers
    •Air fluidized beds
    •Blood glucose monitors
    •Bone growth (or osteogenesis) stimulators*
    •Canes (except white canes for the blind)
    •Commode chairs
    •Crutches
    •Home oxygen equipment and supplies*
    •Hospital beds
    •Infusion pumps and some medicines used in them
    •Lymphedema pumps/pneumatic compression
    devices*
    •Nebulizersand some medicines used in them
    (if reasonable and necessary)
    •Patient lifts*
    •Scooters
    •Suction pumps
    •Traction equipment
    •Transcutaneous electronic nerve stimulators (TENS)*
    •Ventilators or respiratory assist devices
    •Walkers
    •Wheelchairs(manual and power)
    *You must get a Certificate of Medical Necessity before you can get this equipment.
    See page 4.

However, my commode chair was purchased by private pay insurance 8 years ago. Three years ago, private pay insurance covered a new seat. Given Medicare's "reasonable useful lifetime requirement," maybe I shouldn't fight for a component replacement and just try to get them to cover a new commode chair, even though the chair I have is in perfect condition except the the ensolite pad has hardened and is pinching the skin in the area the ishials.

Finding"participating" and/or "enrolled" durable medical equipment suppliers is indeed difficult, even though Medicare provides a list "Find Suppliers of Medical Equipment in Your Area.”

All the best,
    GJ

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 05-15-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    However Medicare will pay for a bed side commode that can then be used as a shower chair...
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    •Commode chairs

All the best,
    GJ
    That's because they don't categorize them as bathroom equipment but a bedside need.
    Most everything I say is