Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Tea

Thanks everyone. But what effect does it have on your sci, if any?

To Digger it was a laxative, what else? How about the bladder?

For me so far it has been three days, two cups a day. It has had a diuretic effect on me, unloading a lot of water.

I am not crazy about the taste, much rather have my cup of expresso, but if it is good for me and my sci, I'll drink it.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Laxative might have been a harsh term. It was more of a stool softener and made things unpredictable which I don't need. No other tea does that to me.

I had no issues with the bladder.
    DIGG.

paramoto, if you don't like the taste of green tea try some of the herbal teas, which really aren't teas at all despite the name. They are composed of things like flowers and berries and can be quite delicious. They don't offer the health benefits of real tea, but they don't do any harm either, and can help keeping up to speed on hydration amounts for the day.

drink unsweetened cranberry juice. it will clean up your bladder and urinary tract

I love green tea. It gives a nice lift without the jitters of coffee. I make a big pot every morning. I drink a couple of cups warm. The rest I'll chill and add a bit of fruit juice or something for flavor. It's a lot less expensive than buying readymade green tea drinks and decreases your carbon footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    Thanks everyone. But what effect does it have on your sci, if any?

To Digger it was a laxative, what else? How about the bladder?

For me so far it has been three days, two cups a day. It has had a diuretic effect on me, unloading a lot of water.

I am not crazy about the taste, much rather have my cup of expresso, but if it is good for me and my sci, I'll drink it.
    Based on my level of injury, I can urinate 85% of the time on my own without an intermittent cath-- so for me the green tea serves as a bit of a diuretic.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Green tea (which is not fermented)has an alkaline effect on the bodies Ph balance due to the fact that it is not fermented like black tea (which is fermented). Adding lemon juice to green tea boosts the absorbtion of the antioxident's by 18 times.

I drink about a half a gallon a day.
    JimmyMack
    Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMack View Post
    Green tea (which is not fermented)has an alkaline effect on the bodies Ph balance due to the fact that it is not fermented like black tea (which is fermented). Adding lemon juice to green tea boosts the absorbtion of the antioxident's by 18 times.

I'm all about foods with alkaline effect. Thanks for the tip about adding lemon juice.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMack View Post

Tastes better that way too!

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    I'm all about foods with alkaline effect. Thanks for the tip about adding lemon juice.
    Lemon juice is so acidic that when it reaches the stomach it turns alkaline helping greatly to keep your body's Ph in balance. The body uses citric acid as a precursor of bicarbonate,
    which acts as an alkaline buffer in the body.
    http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/lemons.html
    http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_lemon.htm (The lemon is considered to be one of the most alkalinizing foods)

So always squeeze freash lemon juice (from a lemon) into your green tea (which is alkaline) and in your water as well.
    JimmyMack
    Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml